Christopher Powers, PhD, PT, FAPTA
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155,
Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Dr. Christopher Powers’ research and teaching interests relate to the biomechanical aspects of human movement. Specifically, his research focuses on how altered kinematics, kinetics and muscular actions contribute to lower-extremity injury. He is particularly interested in the pathomechanics underlying knee and patellofemoral joint dysfunction. He is co-director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory and director of the division’s biokinesiology program.
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Orthopaedic Biomechanics, University of California, Irvine, 1997.
Doctor of Physical Therapy, Biokinesiology University of Southern California, 1996
Master of Science, Physical Therapy, Columbia University, 1987
Bachelor of Arts, Physical Education, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1984
See Christopher Powers’ curriculum vitae.
- Arcanjo FL, Fukuda TY, Souza CS, Guimaraes J, Aquino LM, Carvalho CG, Powers CM, Gomes-Neto M. Hip muscle strengthening for low back pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Rehabil. 34:1368-1377, 2020.
- Cannon J, Weber AE, Park S, Mayer EN, Powers CM. Pathomechanics underlying femoroacetabular impingement syndrome: A theoretical framework to guide clinical practice. Phys Ther. 100:788-797, 2020.
- Shih Y, Teng HL, Powers CM. Leg stiffness predicts ground reaction force loading rate in heel-strike runners. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 51:1692-1697, 2019.
- Bagwell J, Powers CM. Persons with cam femoroacetabular impingement exhibit altered pelvifemoral coordination during weightbearing and non-weightbearing tasks. Clin Biomech. 65:51-56, 2019.
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. The influence of footwear tread orientation on slip outcome and slip severity. J Testing and Evaluation. 47:3740-3750, 2019.
- Liao, TC, Powers CM. Tibiofemoral kinematics in the transverse and frontal planes influence the location and magnitude of peak patella cartilage stress: An investigation of runners with and without patellofemoral pain. Clin Biomech. 62:72-28, 2019.
- Huang CH, Schroeder ET, Powers CM. Anti-gravity treadmill training during the early rehabilitation phase following unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: A case series. Physiother Theory Pract. 26:1-6, 2018.
- Bolgla LA, Boling MC, DiStefano MJ, Mace KD, Fithian DC, Powers CM. National Athletic Trainers’s Association Position Statement: Management of Individuals with Patellofemoral Pain. J Athl Train. 53:820-836, 2018.
- Liao TC, Keyak JH, Powers CM. Runners with patellofemoral pain exhibit greater peak patella cartilage stress: A finite element analysis study. J Appl Biomech. 34:298-305, 2018.
- Stearns KM, Powers CM. Rate of torque development and feedforward control of the hip and knee extensors: Gender differences. J Motor Behav. 50:321-329, 2018.
- Plummer HA, Oliver GD, Powers CM, Michener LA. Trunk lean during a single leg squat is associated with trunk lean during pitching. Int J Sport Phys Ther.13:58-65, 2018.
- Liao TC, Yin L, Powers CM. The influence of isolated femur and tibia rotations on patella cartilage stress: A sensitivity analysis. Clin Biomech. 54:125-131, 2018.
- Collins NJ, Barton CJ, van Middelkoop M, Callaghan MJ, Rathleff MS, Vicenzino B, Davis IS, Powers CM, Macri EM, Hart HF, del Oliveira Silva D, Crossley KM. 2018 Consensus statement on exercise therapy and physical interventions (orthoses, taping and manual therapy) to treat patellofemoral pain: Recommendations from the 5th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Gold Coast, Australia, 2017. Br J Sports Med. 52:1170-1178, 2018.
- Harput G, Guney-Deniz H, Duzgun I, Toprak U, Michener L, Powers CM. Active scapular retraction and acromio-humeral distance at various degrees of shoulder abduction. J Athl Train. 53:584-589, 2018.
- Atkins LT, James CR, Yang HS, Sizer P, Brismee JM, Sawyer S, Powers CM. Changes in patellofemoral pain resulting from repetitive impact landings are associated with the magnitude and rate of patellofemoral loading. Clin Biomech. 53:31-36, 2018.
- Tsai LC, Ko YA, Hammond KE, Xerogeanes JW, Warren GL, Powers CM. Increasing hip and knee flexion during a drop landing task reduces tibiofemoral shear and compressive forces: Implications for ACL injury prevention training. J Sports Sci. 35:2405-2411, 2017.
- Powers CM, Ghoddosi N, Straub RK, Khayambashi K. Hip strength as a predictor of ankle sprains in male soccer players: A prospective study. J Athl Train. 52:1048-1055, 2017.
- Pollard CD, Sigward SM, Powers CM. ACL injury prevention training results in modification of hip and knee mechanics during a drop jump task. Ortho J Sports Med. 5:2325967117726267, 2017.
- Powers CM, Witvrouw E, Davis I, Crossley K. Evidence-based framework for a pathomechanical model of patellofemoral pain: 2017 patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Manchester UK. Br J Sports Med. 24:1713-1723, 2017.
- Bagwell JJ, Powers CM. The influence of squat kinematics and hip morphology on acetabular stress. J Arthroscopy. 33:1797-1803, 2017.
- Crossley KM, Stefanik JJ, Selfe J, Collins NJ, Davis IS, Powers CM, McConnell J, Vicenzino B, Bazett-Jones DM, Esculier JF, Morrisey D, Callaghan MJ. 2016 Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outcome measures. Br J Sports Med. 50:839-843, 2016.
- Selkowitz DM, Beneck GJ, Powers CM. Comparison of EM G activity of the superior and inferior portions of the gluteus maximus during common therapeutic exercises. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 46:794-799, 2016.
- Yin L, Liao TC, Yang L, Powers CM. Does patella tendon tenodesis improve tibial tubercle distalization in treating patella alta? A computational study. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 474:2451-2461, 2016.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. Hip extensor strength, trunk posture and use of the knee extensor muscles during running. J Athl Train. 51:519-524, 2016.
- Bagwell JJ, Snibbe J, Gerhardt M, Powers CM. Comparison of hip kinematics and kinetics in persons with and without cam femoroacetabular impingement during a deep squat task. Clin Biomech. 31:87-92, 2016.
- Bagwell JJ* Fukuda T, Powers CM. Sagittal plane pelvis motion influences transverse plane motion of the femur: Kinematic coupling at the hip joint. Gait & Posture. 43:120-124, 2016.
- Khayambashi K, Ghoddosi N, Straub RK, Powers CM. Hip muscle strength predicts non-contact ACL injury in male and female athletes: A prospective study. Am J Sports Med. 44:355-361, 2016.
- Hashish R, Samarawickrame S, Powers CM, Salem GJ. Lower limb dynamics in habitually shod runners who acutely transition to barefoot running. J Biomech. 49:284-288, 2016.
- Fisher BE, Southam AC, Lee YY, Powers CM. Evidence of altered corticomotor excitability following targeted activation of gluteus maximus training in health individuals. Neuroreport. 27:415-421, 2016.