Assistant Professor of Clinical Physical Therapy
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90033
Jonathan C. Sum is the director of USC Physical Therapy at the Health Sciences Campus, the faculty practice for the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy. He specializes in treating patients with orthopedic disorders, sports related injuries, post-surgical rehabilitation, pain management and musical performance related injuries. Dr. Sum is double board certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties, both as an Orthopedic Clinical Specialist, and a Sports Clinical Specialist. He is a member of the Orthopedic Section and the Sports Section of the American Physical Therapy Association. He is also a member of ASSET, the American Society of Shoulder and Elbow Therapists, and has served as a research committee member. He is also an APTA-credentialed clinical instructor.
Dr. Sum teaches in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program where he coordinates the shoulder module for the patient management courses. He is also a clinical mentor in the Orthopedic Physical Therapy residency program and the Sports Physical Therapy residency program at USC. In the Sports Physical Therapy residency program, he coordinates the overhead throwing curriculum. He has guest lectured for the Keck School of Medicine of USC and the USC Thornton School of Music. Dr. Sum also assists the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim professional baseball club with pre-season physicals during Cactus League Spring Training every year.
Along with his clinical and academic pursuits, Dr. Sum has also been published in a number of peer-reviewed journals and has been an invited speaker at local, state and national conferences, including the ASSET conference. He has been involved with clinical trials and research examining the shoulder complex, testosterone supplemented ACL-deficient knees, body weight assisted training following knee replacement, lumbar spine disc loading, lumbopelvic manipulation and Achilles tendinopathy.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 2005
- Bachelor of Science, Kinesiology, University of Southern California, 2001
- Tilson JK, Mickan S, Sum JC, Zibell M, Dylla JM, Howard R. “Promoting physical therapists’ use of research evidence to inform clinical practice: part 2 – a mixed methods evaluation of the PEAK program.” BMC Med Educ. 2014;14(1):126.
- Sum JC, Omid R. “Superior labrum anterior to posterior tear. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012;42(12):1050.
- Sum JC, Hatch GF. Osteochondritis Dissecans. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011;41(10):797.
- Hensley CP, Sum J. Physical therapy intervention for a former power lifter after arthroscopic microfracture procedure for grade IV glenohumeral chondral defects. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2011 Mar;6(1):10-26.
- Dayal R, Merriam P, Sniderman M, Sum JC, Uyeshiro A, Weinstein FF. “Pain management case studies: Panel discussion.” Panel presentation, Keck Medicine of USC 5th Annual Pain Management Symposium, Los Angeles, California, Aug 21, 2014.
- Sum JC, Skinner CB, Kim SC, Kelso AS, Hatch GF, Groshen SL. “Pilot study to investigate risk factors associated with shoulder injury in athletes involved with CrossFit.” Poster presentation, USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy Jacqueline Perry Research Day, Los Angeles, California, Apr 17, 2014.
- Sum JC, McGuiness A, Hatch GF. “Range of motion and self-reported outcome measures following latissimus dorsi tendon transfer for irreparable rotator cuff tear using a post-operative physical therapy protocol: A case series.” Platform presentation, Annual Meeting, American Society of Shoulder and Elbow Therapists, Las Vegas, Nevada, Oct 2013.
- Sum JC, Fitzgerald K, Haile J, McNeill B, Michener LA. “Relevance of scapular dyskinesis in patients with shoulder pain.” Poster presentation, USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy Jacqueline Perry Research Day, Los Angeles, California, Apr 11, 2013.
- Sum JC, Fitzgerald K, Haile J, McNeill B, Michener LA. “Relevance of scapular dyskinesis in patients with shoulder pain.” Poster presentation, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC Research Day, Los Angeles, California, Feb 20, 1013.
- Tilson JK, Mickan S, Sum JC, Zibell M, Howard R, Dylla J. “Impact and implications of a multi-faceted, participant driven, EBP educational intervention.” Evidence 2011, London, England, Oct 2011.
- Woodward SC, Hayden EM, Sum JC, Fresen JL, Dylla JM, Ying JC. “Physiologic characteristics of jazz guitarists.” Platform presentation, Medical Problems of Performing Artists Annual Symposium, Performing Arts Medicine Association, Snowmass, Colorado, Jul 2010.
- Sum JC. “Latissimus dorsi tendon transfer for massive irreparable rotator cuff tears: indications and post-operative rehabilitation considerations.” Poster presentation, Combined Sections Meeting, American Physical Therapy Association, Las Vegas, Nevada, Feb 2009.
- Sum JC, Ellenbecker TS, Bailie DS. “Range of motion, rotator cuff muscular strength, and functional self-report following Promos shoulder arthroplasty vs. Copeland shoulder arthroplasty.” Platform presentation, Combined Sections Meeting, American Physical Therapy Association, San Diego, California, Feb 2006.
- Sum JC, Popovich JM, Kulig K, Colletti P. “The role of axial loading in early diagnosis of lumbar disc injury: A biomechanical interpretation using magnetic resonance imaging.” Poster presentation, Combined Sections Meeting, American Physical Therapy Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, Feb 2005.