1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Dr. Christopher Powers’ research and teaching interests relate to the biomechanical aspects of human movement. Specifically, his research focuses on how altered kinematics, kinetics and muscular actions contribute to lower-extremity injury. He is particularly interested in the pathomechanics underlying knee and patellofemoral joint dysfunction. He is co-director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory and director of the division’s biokinesiology program.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Orthopaedic Biomechanics, University of California, Irvine, 1997.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Biokinesiology University of Southern California, 1996
- Master of Science, Physical Therapy, Columbia University, 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, Physical Education, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1984
- Crossley KM, Stefanik JJ, Selfe J, Collins NJ, Davis IS, Powers CM, McConnell J, Vicenzino B, Bazett-Jones DM, Esculier JF, Morrisey D, Callaghan MJ. 2016 “Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outcome measures.” Br J Sports Med. 50:839-843, 2016
- Selkowitz DM, Beneck GJ, Powers CM. “Comparison of EM G activity of the superior and inferior portions of the gluteus maximus during common therapeutic exercises.” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 46:794-799, 2016
- Yin L, Liao TC, Yang L, Powers CM. “Does patella tendon tenodesis improve tibial tubercle distalization in treating patella alta? A computational study.” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 474:2451-2461, 2016.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. “Hip extensor strength, trunk posture and use of the knee extensor muscles during running.” J Athl Train. 51:519-524, 2016.
Bagwell JJ, Snibbe J, Gerhardt M, Powers CM. “Comparison of hip kinematics and kinetics in persons with and without cam femoroacetabular impingement during a deep squat task.” Clin Biomech. 31:87-92, 2016.
- Bagwell JJ, Fukuda T, Powers CM. “Sagittal plane pelvis motion influences transverse plane motion of the femur: Kinematic coupling at the hip joint. Gait & Posture. 43:120-124, 2016.
- Khayambashi K, Ghoddosi N, Straub RK, Powers CM. “Hip muscle strength predicts non-contact ACL injury in male and female athletes: A prospective study.” Am J Sports Med. 44:355-361, 2016.
- Hashish R, Samarawickrame S, Powers CM, Salem GJ. “Lower limb dynamics in habitually shod runners who acutely transition to barefoot running.” J Biomech. 49:284-288, 2016.
- Fisher BE, Southam AC, Lee YY, Powers CM. “Evidence of altered corticomotor excitability following targeted activation of gluteus maximus training in health individuals.” Neuroreport. 27:415-421, 2016.
- Liao TC, Yang N, Ho KY, Farrokhi S, Powers CM. “Femur rotation increases patella cartilage stress in females with patellofemoral pain.” Med Sci Sport Exerc. 47;1775-1780, 2015.
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. “The influence of footwear tread groove parameters on available friction.” Appl Ergon. 50;237-241, 2015.
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. “Slip prediction accuracy and bias of the SATA STM 603 whole shoe tester.” J Testing and Evaluation. 43:491-498, 2015.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cuevas FJ, Gregor RJ, Powers CM. “Lower extremity dexterity is associated with agility in adolescent soccer athletes.” Scand J Med Sci Sport. 25:81-88, 2015.
Lathan C, Myler A, Peterson J, Powers CM, Fisher BE. “Pressure-controlled treadmill training in chronic stroke: A case study.” J Neuro Phys Ther. 39:127-133, 2015.
Teng HL, Powers CM. “Influence of trunk posture on lower extremity energetics during running.” Med Sci Sport Exerc. 47:625-630, 2015.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. “Sagittal plane trunk posture influences patellofemoral joint stress during running.” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 44:785-792, 2014.
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Colletti PM, Powers CM. “Running-induced patellofemoral pain fluctuates with changes in patella water content.” Eur J Sport Sci. 14:628-634, 2014.
- Chen YJ, Powers CM. “Comparison of three dimensional patellofemoral joint reaction forces in persons with and without patellofemoral pain.” J Appl Biomech. 30:493-500, 2014
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Colletti PM, Powers CM. “Recreational runners with patellofemoral pain exhibit elevated patella water content.” Magn Res Imag. 44:320-327, 2014.
- Powers CM, Ho KY, Chen YJ, Souza RB, Farrokhi S. “Patellofemoral joint stress during weight bearing and non-weight bearing quadriceps exercises.” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 44:320-327, 2014.
- Khayambashi K, Fallah A, Movahedi A, Bagwell J, Powers CM. “Posterolateral hip muscle strengthening versus quadriceps strengthening for patellofemoral pain: A randomized controlled trial.” Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 95:900-907, 2014.
- Stearns KM, Powers CM. “Improvements in hip muscle performance result in increased utilization of the hip extensors and abductors during a landing task.” Am J Sports Med. 42:602-609, 2014
- Lee SP, Powers CM. “Individuals with diminished hip abductor strength exhibit altered ankle biomechanics and neuromuscular activation during unipedal balance tasks.” Gait Posture. 39:933-938, 2014.
- Ho, KY, Keyak JH, Powers CM. “Comparison of patella bone strain between females with and without patellofemoral pain; A finite element analysis study.” J Biomech. 47:230-236, 2014.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cueva FJ, Gregor RJ, Powers CM. “Control of dynamic foot-ground interactions in male and female soccer athletes: Females exhibit lower dexterity and higher limb stiffness during landing.” J Biomech. 47:512-517, 2014.
- Teng, HL, Chen YJ, Powers CM. “Predictors of patella alignment: An examination of patella height and trochlea geometry.” The Knee. 21:142-146, 2014.
- Witrouw E, Callaghan MJ, Stefanik JJ, Noerhren B, Bazett-Jones DM, Willson JD, Earl-Boehm JE, Davis IS, Powers CM, McConnell J, Crossley KM. “Patellofemoral pain: Consensus statement from the 3rd International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat.” Br J Sports Med, 48:411-414, 2014.