Joseph M. Derian, PT, DPT, OCS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Physical Therapy
1540 E. Alcazar Street, CHP 155
Los Angeles CA 90033
Dr. Joseph Derian is a clinician-educator with strong interests in educational research. In his research, he uses biomechanical and behavioral methods to explore how physical therapists acquire manual therapy skills, specifically spinal manipulation.
- Spine Physical Therapy Fellowship, University of Southern California, 2022
- Orthopedic Residency, University of Southern California, 2017
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 2016
- Bachelor of Science, Health and Human Sciences, Minor in Business Administration, Loyola Marymount University, 2013
See Joe Derian’s curriculum vitae.
- Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Wang Y, Lam W, Kulig K. Biomechanical Characteristics of Lumbar Manipulation Performed by Expert, Resident, and Student Physical Therapists. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice. 2020.
- Shoepe TC, Cavedon DK, Derian JM, Levy CS, Morales A. The ATLAS project: The effects of a constructionist digital laboratory project on undergraduate laboratory performance. Anat Sci Educ. 2014;00. doi:10.1002/ase.1448
- Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Wang Y, Lam W, Kulig K. Biomechanical Characteristics of Lumbar Spine Manipulation in Expert, Resident, and Student Therapists. Combined Sections Meeting of APTA, Washington D.C. 2019. PLATFORM
- Wang Y, Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Dickenson S, Lam W, Kulig K. Operator’s Pelvic Kinematics During Lumbar Manipulation: Expert and Novice Comparison. Research day- Ostrow School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA. 2018. POSTER.
- Lam W, Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Dickenson S, Wang Y, Kulig K. Analyses of Ground Reaction Forces During Lumbar Manipulation. Research day- Ostrow School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA. 2018. POSTER.
- Derian JM, Armour Smith J, O’Donnell M, Abzug A, Kulig K. Expert and Novice Clinicians Performing Side-lying Lumbar Manipulation: what are the Differences in Movement Dynamics? IFOMPT Conference, Glasgow, Scotland. 2016. POSTER.
- Derian JM, O’Donnell M, Armour Smith J, Abzug A, Kulig K, . Ground Reaction Force Profiles During Side-lying Lumbar Manipulation: A Comparison of Expert and Novice Manual Therapists. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 2016. POSTER
See Joseph Derian’s Google Scholar Profile.