Christopher Powers, PhD, PT, FAPTA
(323) 442-1928 Email:
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Dr. Powers' research and teaching interests relate to the biomechanical aspects of human movement. More specifically, his research focuses on how altered kinematics, kinetics, and muscular actions contribute to lower extremity injury. He is particularly interested in the pathomechanics underlying knee and patellofemoral joint dysfunction. He is currently the Co-Director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory and the Director of the Program in Biokinesiology at USC.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Orthopaedic Biomechanics (1997), University of California, Irvine, CA
- Ph.D. Biokinesiology (1996). University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- M.S. Physical Therapy (1987). Columbia University, New York, NY
- B.A. Physical Education (1984). University of California, Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
- Liao TC, Yang N, Ho KY, Farrokhi S, Powers CM. Femur rotation increases patella cartilage stress in females with patellofemoral pain. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 47;1775-1780, 2015
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. The influence of footwear tread groove parameters on available friction. Appl Ergon. 50;237-241, 2015
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. Slip prediction accuracy and bias of the SATA STM 603 whole shoe tester.J Testing and Evaluation. 43:491-498, 2015.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cuevas FJ, Gregor RJ, PowersCM. Lower extremity dexterity is associated with agility in adolescent soccer athletes. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 25:81-88, 2015.
- Lathan C, Myler A, Peterson J, Powers CM,Fisher B. Alter-G treadmill training in chronic stroke: A case study. J Neuro Phys Ther. 39:127-133, 2015.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. Influence of trunk posture on lower extremity energetics during running. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 47:625-630, 2015.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. Sagittal plane trunk posture influences patellofemoral joint stress during running. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 44:785-792, 2014.
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Colletti PM, Powers CM.Running-induced patellofemoral pain fluctuates with changes in patella water content.Eur J Sport Sci. 14:628-634,2014.
- Chen YJ, Powers CM. Comparison of three dimensional patellofemoral joint reaction forces in persons with and without patellofemoral pain. J Appl Biomech.30:493-500, 2014
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Colletti PM, Powers CM.Recreational runners with patellofemoral pain exhibit elevated patella water content. Magn Res Imag. 44:320-327,2014.
- Powers CM, Ho KY, Chen YJ, SouzaRB,* Farrokhi S. Patellofemoral joint stress during weightbearing and non-weightbearing quadriceps exercises. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 44:320-327, 2014.
- Khayambashi K, Fallah A, Movahedi A, Bagwell J,Powers CM. Posterolateral hip muscle strengthening versus quadriceps strengthening for patellofemoral pain: A randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 95:900-907, 2014.
- Stearns KM, Powers CM. Improvements in hip muscle performance result in increased utilization of the hip extensors and abductors during a landing task. Am J Sports Med. 42:602-609, 2014
- Lee SP, Powers CM. Individuals with diminished hip abductor strength exhibit altered ankle biomechanics and neuromuscular activation during unipedal balance tasks.Gait Posture. 39:933-938, 2014.
- Ho, KY, Keyak JH, Powers CM. Comparison of patella bone strain between females with and without patellofemoral pain; A finite element analysis study. JBiomech. 47:230-236, 2014.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cueva FJ, Gregor RJ, Powers CM. Control of dynamic foot-ground interactions in male and female soccer athletes: Females exhibit lower dexterity and higher limb stiffness during landing. J Biomech. 47:512-517, 2014.
- Teng, HL, Chen YJ, Powers CM.Predictors of patella alignment: An examination of patella height and trochlea geometry. The Knee. 21:142-146, 2014.
- Nakagawa TH, Maciel CD, Serrao FV, Powers CM. Hip and knee kinematics are associated with pain and functional status in males and females with patellofemoral pain. Int J Sport Med. 34;997-1002, 2013.
- Stefanik JJ, Zhu Y, Zumwalt AC, Segal NA, Lynch JA, Lewis CE, Guermazi A, Felson DT, Powers CM.Association between measures of patella height, trochlear morphology and patellofemoral joint alignment: The MOST study.Clin Orthop Rel Res.471:2641-2648, 2013.
- Lee SP, Powers CM. Fatigue of the hip abductors results in increased medial-lateralcenter of pressure excursion and altered peroneus longus activation during a unipedal landing task.ClinBiomech. 28:524-529, 2013.
- Tsai LC, Scher IS, Powers CM.Quantification of tibiofemoral shear and compressive loads using a MRI-based EMG-driven knee model. J Appl Biomech.29:229-234, 2013.
- Lee SP, Powers CM. Description of a weightbearing method to assess hip abductor muscle performance.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.43:392-397, 2013.
- Stearns KM, Powers CM. Influence of relative hip and knee extensor muscle performance on lower extremity biomechanics during landing: Med Sci Sports Exerc. 45:935-941, 2013.
- Fisher BE, Lee YY, Pittsch EA, Moore B, Faw T,Powers CM. Method for assessing brain changes associated with gluteus maximus activation. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 43:214-221, 2013.
- Wong YM, Straub RK, Powers CM. TheVMO:VL activation ratio while squatting with hip adduction is influenced by the choice of recording electrode. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 23:443-447, 2013.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cuevas FJ, Gregor RJ, Powers CM. The lower extremity dexterity test as a measure of lower extremity dynamical capability. J Biomech.46:998-1002; 2013.
- Tsai YJ, Powers CM. The influence of footwear sole hardness on slip characteristics and slip-induced falls in young adults. J Forensic Sci. 58:46-50,2013.
- Selkowitz DM, Beneck GJ, Powers CM.Which exercises target the gluteal muscles while minimizing activation of the tensor fascia lata? Electromyographic assessment using fine-wire electrodes. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.43:54-64, 2013.
- Tsai LC, Powers CM. Increased hip and knee flexion during landing decreases tibiofemoral compressive forces in females who have undergone anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 41:423-429, 2013.
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Keyak KH, Colletti PM, Powers CM. Measuring bone mineral density with fat-water MRI: Comparison with computed tomography. J Magn Reson Imag. 37:237-242, 2013.
© USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy