Hands-on training in a clinical setting is a key part of becoming an effective and well-qualified physical therapist. Our physical therapy residencies and fellowships provide an intense and fulfilling year of putting your skills to work treating patients and helping you thrive as a physical therapy professional.
If you want to accelerate your preparation as a clinician or further specialize — to work as an educator, advocate or consultant — we offer several post-professional clinical residencies and fellowships.
Choose among the following programs — all accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education
- The Neurologic Physical Therapy Residency, which provides a foundation in the theoretical basis of neurologic PT practice, including neuroscience and neuroplasticity, motor control and learning, and motivation and behavior change.
- The Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency, with clinical and classroom training in the art and science of orthopedic physical therapy practice.
- The Pediatric Physical Therapy Residency, a collaborative effort of the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy and the Division of Rehabilitative Medicine at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, one of the nation’s leading children’s hospitals.
- The Sports Fellowship in Division I Athletics, which trains advanced practitioners of sports physical therapy in the skills needed to care for these athletes — in the clinic, in training rooms and on the field.
- The Sports Physical Therapy Residency, which enhances clinical, on-field and professional skills in sports physical therapy for the management of athletic injuries.
We also offer two new fellowship programs, to be reviewed by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education.
- The Spine Physical Therapy Fellowship trains advanced practitioners of spine physical therapy special practice to participate in research and make a lasting contribution through service to their community and profession.
- The Upper Extremity Elite Athlete Physical Therapy Fellowship is designed to equip physical therapists with the skills, experience and knowledge to effectively and competitively manage clinical care of athletes in upper extremity sports, specifically amateur and professional baseball.
These engaging, year-long clinical residencies and fellowships offer you a structured program of education and scientific inquiry, with dedicated mentoring support.
Our Mission, Your Goals
Through a combination of working with patients alongside knowledgeable professionals, ongoing mentorship and classroom instruction, you will receive advanced training in neurologic, orthopedic, pediatric or sports physical therapy, and expand knowledge in your field through clinical research projects.
At the end of your residency or fellowship, you’ll be ready to take qualifying exams in your specialty, take on university-level teaching positions, begin your professional work in a variety of settings or continue your postgraduate work.