Professor of Clinical Physical Therapy
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155 Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Rob Landel is a professor of clinical physical therapy in the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, director of the entry-level Doctor of Physical Therapy program and director of the residency programs. He established and was director of the private practice of USC Physical Therapy, where he continues to treat patients, primarily those with orthopedic, balance and vestibular disorders. He was the founding director of the Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency program at USC and continues to provide clinical mentorship and instruction to residents.
Dr. Landel is a Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), a board-certified specialist in orthopedic physical therapy, a certified strength and conditioning specialist, and a certified manual therapist. He has chaired the Orthopedic Specialty Council, which is responsible for developing and constructing the board-certification exam in orthopedic physical therapy, and was chair of the Clinical Residency and Fellowship Credentialing Committee (now the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education), which oversees residency and fellowship program credentialing for APTA. He is a member of APTA’s orthopedic and neurologic sections.
With more than 34 years of experience treating orthopedic, neurologic and vestibular patients, Dr. Landel has lectured and trained therapists and physicians in the U.S., Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Europe, and has published on a variety of topics in orthopedics and vestibular rehabilitation. He has received the Rose Excellence in Orthopedic Research Award and the Gould Excellence in Teaching Award from APTA’s orthopedic section.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 1996
- Master of Science, Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 1984
- Bachelor of Science, Health Science with Community Health Education, California State University, Long Beach, 1981
- Associates Degree, Pasadena City College, 1978
- Alsalaheen B, Landel R, Hunter-Giordano A, Shimamura KK, Quatman-Yates C, Hanke T, McCulloch KL. A Treatment-Based Profiling Model for Physical Therapy Management of Patients Following a Concussive Event. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019 Nov;49(11):829-841. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2019.8869.
- Pollard CD, Stearns-Reider KM, Katzel M and Landel RF. Knee biomechanics during side-step cutting and performance on return to sport tests: retrospective analysis following anterior cruciate ligament re-injury. Int J Phys Med Rehabil 2017, 5:5, 2017.
- Kulig K, Noceti-DeWit LM, Reischl SF, Landel RF. Physical therapists’ role in prevention and management of patellar tendinopathy injuries in youth, collegiate, and middle-aged indoor volleyball athletes. Braz J Phys Ther. Oct 6 2015. doi: 10.1590/bjpt-rbf.2014.0126.
- Kulig, K, Landel, R, Chang, YJ, Hannanvash, N, Reischl, SF, Song, P, Bashford, G. Patellar tendon morphology in volleyball athletes with and without patellar tendinopathy. Scan J Med Sci Sports. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2012 Dec 17. doi: 10.1111/sms.12021. [Epub ahead of print]
- Powers CM, Beneck GJ, Kulig K, Landel R, Fredericson M. The effects of a single session of posterior to anterior spinal mobilization and press-ups on pain response and lumbar spine extension in persons with nonspecific low back pain. Phys Ther, 88(4):485-493, 2008.
- Johnson E, Landel R, Kusunose RS, Appel, TD. Positive patient outcome after manual cervical spine management despite a positive vertebral artery test. Man Ther (2008), doi:10.1016/j.math.2007.12.001
- Landel R, Kulig K, Fredericson M, Li B, Powers CM. Intertester reliability and validity of manual lumbar spine segmental motion testing. Phys Ther. 88:43-49, 2008.
- Kulig K, Powers CM, Landel RF, Chen H, Fredericson M, Guillet M, Butts K. Segmental lumbar mobility in individuals with low back pain: In vivo assessment during passive and active motion using dynamic MRI. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2007, 8:8 (29 January 2007)
- Beneck GJ, Kulig K, Landel R, Powers CM. The relationship between lumbar segmental motion and pain response in persons with low back pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 2005;35:203-209.
- Kulig K, Landel R, Powers CM: Assessment of lumbar spine kinematics using dynamic MRI: a proposed mechanism of sagittal plane motion induced by manual posterior to anterior mobilization. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 34(2):57-64, 2004.
- Doubleday KL, Kulig K, Landel R: Treatment of testicular pain using conservative management of the thoracolumbar spine: a case report. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1903-5, 2003.
- Mascal CL, Landel R, Powers C: Management of patellofemoral pain targeting hip, pelvis and trunk muscle function: 2 case reports. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 33:642-660, 2003.
- Requejo SM. Barnes R. Kulig K. Landel R. Gonzalez DS. The use of a modified classification system in the treatment of low back pain during pregnancy: a case report. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 32(7):318-26, 2002
- Meyer J, Kulig K, Landel R: Differential diagnosis and management of subcalcaneal heel pain: A case report. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 32: 114-122, 2002.
- Bast SC, Vangsness CT, Takemura J, Folkins E, Landel R: The effects of concentric versus eccentric isokinetic strength training of the rotator cuff in the plane of the scapula at various speeds. Bull Hosp Joint Dis 57(3): 139-144, 1998.
- Powers CM, Landel R, Sosnick T, Mengel K, Cheney A, Kirby J, Perry J: The effects of patellar taping on stride characteristics and joint motion in subjects with patellofemoral pain. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 26(6):286-291, 1997.
- Powers CM, Landel R, Perry J: Timing and intensity of vasti muscle activity during functional activities in subjects with and without patellofemoral pain.Phys Ther 76:946–955, 1996.
- Clendaniel RA, Landel R, Cervicogenic Dizziness. In: Herdman S, Clendaniel R. Vestibular Rehabilitation (Contemporary Perspectives in Rehabilitation).4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis. 2014.
- Landel R. Differential Diagnosis of Dizziness. In: Davenport T, Kulig K, Sebelski C, Gordon J, Watts H. Diagnosis for Physical Therapists: A Symptom-Based Approach. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis. 2012.
- Landel R. Beyond Diagnosis: the Search for the Underlying Etiology. In: Davenport T, Kulig K, Sebelski C, Gordon J, Watts H. Diagnosis for Physical Therapists: A Symptom-Based Approach. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis. 2012.
- Landel R, Hall C. The Thoracic Spine. In: Hall C, Thein-Brody L, Therapeutic Exercise: Moving towards function. 3rd Ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens, 2011.
- Thein-Brody L, Landel R. Patellofemoral Pain. In: Hall C, Thein-Brody L, Therapeutic Exercise: Moving towards function. 3rd Ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens, 2011.
- Pomrantz AB, Landel R. Upper Cervical Spine. In: Sueki D, Brechter J, ed. Orthopedic Rehabilitation Clinical Advisor. Maryland Heights, MO: Mosby Elsevier, 2010.
- Clendaniel RA, Landel R, Cervicogenic Dizziness. In: Herdman S, ed. Vestibular Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis. 2007.
- Landel R, Hall C. The Thoracic Spine. In: Hall C, Thein-Brody L, Therapeutic Exercise: Moving towards function. 2nd Ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens, 2004. ISBN: 0-7817-4135-1
- Thein-Brody L, Landel R. Patellofemoral Pain. In: Hall C, Thein-Brody L, Therapeutic Exercise: Moving towards function. 2nd Ed. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens, 2004. ISBN: 0-7817-4135-1
- Landel RF. Use of traction to treat cervicogenic dizziness: A case study. Poster presentation. World Congress of Physical Therapy, Singapore, 2015.
- Treleaven J, Landel R, Malmstrom EM. Biological mechanisms underpinning dizziness associated with neck pain: implications for clinical management. Quadrennial International Federation of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists (IFOMPT) Conference, Quebec City, Canada, 10/2012.
- Quatman-Yates C, Hanke T, McCulloch K, Giordano A, Landel R, Kumagai K, Alsalaheen B. Clinical Practice Guideline: Physical Therapy Management Following a Concussive Event. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Washington DC. 2019.
- Tilson J, Landel RF, Gordon J, Dominguez J, Simpson M, Kirages D, Andersen M, Havens K, Nelson M, Robertson E, Sebelski C, Stevenson J, Aguilar S, Teglia V. Deciding to expand a DPT program to include a hybrid online/on-campus cohort – a case study of shared governance. Education Leadership Conference, Academy of Physical Therapy Education, APTA. Jacksonville, Fl. 10/2018.
- Landel RF, Morris L. Brain or Sprain? Concussion vs Cervicogenic Dizziness. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Antonio, TX. 2017.
- Cleland J, Landel R, Mintken P, Olson K. The Neck Pain Clinical Practice Guideline: Strengths, Limitations, and Recommendations for the Future. 2016 Annual Orthopedic Section Meeting, Atlanta, GA. 05/2016.
- Landel RF, Morris L, Holmberg J. Differentiating Migraine, Cervicogenic, and Anxiety-Related Dizziness. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 02/2016.
- Hammerle M, Landel RF, Nelson J, Bowles A. Retrospective Record Review: Comparison of two treatments for dizziness post-concussion in an active duty military population. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 02/2016.
- Landel RF, Leveraging Clinical and Classroom Technology: There’s an App for That! Oakland CA, California Physical Therapy Association, CPTA Annual Conference, October 2014.
- Landel RF, Managing the Cervical Spine in a Direct Access State. Los Angeles, Greater Los Angeles District, May 2014.
- Landel RF, Elliott J. Putting psychosomatic and psychosocial theories of chronic neck pain into context with biological factors: where does manual therapy fit? AAOMPT Meeting, Cincinnati, OH. 10/2013.
- Landel RF, Cervical Pain and Cervicogenic Dizziness: Perspectives on Evaluation and Treatment. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA. 2/2011.
- Landel RF. Comprehensive cervical spine management: What am I missing? APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, CA. 2/2010.
- Landel RF. Posturography improvement after cervical manipulation. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Las Vegas, NV. 2/2009.
INVITED LECTURES & KEYNOTE ADDRESSES
- Landel RF. Post-concussion Dizziness and Headache: A Diagnostic and Management Dilemma. Beijing, China. 06/2019.
- Landel RF. Treatment of Proprioceptive Deficits in the Lower Extremity. Barcelona, Spain. 10/1996.
- Landel RF. Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation; Preventing Falls in the Elderly. France, England, Scotland, Germany, Netherlands. 09/1996
- Landel RF. Balance and Vestibular Rehabilitation; Preventing Falls in the Elderly. Seoul, Korea; Taipei, Taiwan; Hong Kong; Singapore; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 03/1995
- Landel R. Managing Post-Concussion Syndrome: The Diagnostic Dilemma, and Where Does Manual Therapy Fit In? 18th Annual Patricia Leahy Lecture, University of the Sciences, Philadelphia PA. 09/2018
- Landel R. Concussion or worse? Differentiating and managing patients with dizziness in a typical (busy!) outpatient clinic. University of New Mexico Annual PT Research Day. Albuquerque, NM. 05/2018
- Landel R. Concussion or worse? Differentiating and managing patients with dizziness in a typical (busy!) outpatient clinic. Alaska Physical Therapy Association Annual Meeting, Alyeska, AK. 10/2016.
- Landel RF. Vestibular rehabilitation in the orthopedic setting. Wisconsin APTA State Conference. 10/2015.
- Landel RF. Cervical spine contributions to concussion symptoms: A hidden culprit. 5th Annual First Coast Sports Medicine Symposium, Jacksonville Sports Medicine Program. Jacksonville, FL 03/2015.
- Landel RF, Kulig K. Patellar Tendinosis in volleyball athletes. USA Beach Volleyball Medical Summit, US Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista, CA. 02/2015.
- Landel RF. A House Divided. Royce P. Noland Award Address, California Chapter APTA Annual Conference, Pasadena, CA. 09/2013.
- Landel RF. The missing links to comprehensive cervical spine management. Invited presentation to California Chapter APTA Annual Conference, Pasadena, CA. 09/2013.
- Landel RF, Tilson J. There’s an App for That! APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, CA. 2/2013.
- Landel RF. Cervicogenic Dizziness: Perspectives on Evaluation and Treatment. Vestibular SIG, Neurology Section, APTA. 2010 Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, CA. 2/2010.
- Landel RF. Conference Keynote Address. Managing patients with neck pain: Forgotten considerations. Florida Physical Therapy Association, 2009 Annual conference, Orlando, FL. September 11, 2009.
- Landel RF. Cervicogenic dizziness: An orthopedic spin on vertigo, cervical dysfunctions, and whiplash. Florida Physical Therapy Association, 2009 Annual conference, Orlando, FL. September 10, 2009.