Instructor of Clinical Physical Therapy
1540 E. Alcazar Street, CHP 155 Los Angeles CA 90033
Dr. Joseph Derian teaches in multiple courses within the DPT curriculum. He mainly focuses on orthopedic patient management and analytical anatomy. Dr. Derian is also interested in how physical therapists learn and acquire skill in manual therapy, specifically spinal manipulation. He studies the biomechanics of physical therapists performing manipulation in the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory with a goal of improving education of these challenging techniques.
- Orthopedic Residency, University of Southern California, 2017
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 2016
- Bachelor of Science, Health and Human Sciences, Minor in Business Administration, Loyola Marymount University, 2013
- Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Wang Y, Lam W, Kulig K. Biomechanical Characteristics of Lumbar Manipulation Performed by Expert, Resident, and Student Physical Therapists. Musculoskeletal Science and Practice. 2020.
- Shoepe TC, Cavedon DK, Derian JM, Levy CS, Morales A. The ATLAS project: The effects of a constructionist digital laboratory project on undergraduate laboratory performance. Anat Sci Educ. 2014;00. doi:10.1002/ase.1448
- Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Wang Y, Lam W, Kulig K. Biomechanical Characteristics of Lumbar Spine Manipulation in Expert, Resident, and Student Therapists. Combined Sections Meeting of APTA, Washington D.C. 2019. PLATFORM
- Wang Y, Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Dickenson S, Lam W, Kulig K. Operator’s Pelvic Kinematics During Lumbar Manipulation: Expert and Novice Comparison. Research day- Ostrow School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA. 2018. POSTER.
- Lam W, Derian JM, Armour Smith J, Dickenson S, Wang Y, Kulig K. Analyses of Ground Reaction Forces During Lumbar Manipulation. Research day- Ostrow School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA. 2018. POSTER.
- Derian JM, Armour Smith J, O’Donnell M, Abzug A, Kulig K. Expert and Novice Clinicians Performing Side-lying Lumbar Manipulation: what are the Differences in Movement Dynamics? IFOMPT Conference, Glasgow, Scotland. 2016. POSTER.
- Derian JM, O’Donnell M, Armour Smith J, Abzug A, Kulig K, . Ground Reaction Force Profiles During Side-lying Lumbar Manipulation: A Comparison of Expert and Novice Manual Therapists. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 2016. POSTER