1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Christopher Powers is a professor whose research and teaching interests relate to the biomechanical aspects of human movement. Specifically, his research focuses on how altered kinematics, kinetics and muscular actions contribute to lower-extremity injury. He is particularly interested in the pathomechanics underlying knee and patellofemoral joint dysfunction. He is co-director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory and director of the division’s biokinesiology program.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, Orthopaedic Biomechanics, University of California, Irvine, 1997.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Biokinesiology University of Southern California, 1996
- Master of Science, Physical Therapy, Columbia University, 1987
- Bachelor of Arts, Physical Education, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1984
- Crossley KM, Stefanik JJ, Selfe J, Collins NJ, Davis IS, Powers CM, McConnell J, Vicenzino B, Bazett-Jones DM, Esculier JF, Morrisey D, Callaghan MJ. 2016 “Patellofemoral pain consensus statement from the 4th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat. Part 1: Terminology, definitions, clinical examination, natural history, patellofemoral osteoarthritis and patient-reported outcome measures.” Br J Sports Med. 50:839-843, 2016
- Selkowitz DM, Beneck GJ, Powers CM. “Comparison of EM G activity of the superior and inferior portions of the gluteus maximus during common therapeutic exercises.” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 46:794-799, 2016
- Yin L, Liao TC, Yang L, Powers CM. “Does patella tendon tenodesis improve tibial tubercle distalization in treating patella alta? A computational study.” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 474:2451-2461, 2016.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. “Hip extensor strength, trunk posture and use of the knee extensor muscles during running.” J Athl Train. 51:519-524, 2016.
Bagwell JJ, Snibbe J, Gerhardt M, Powers CM. “Comparison of hip kinematics and kinetics in persons with and without cam femoroacetabular impingement during a deep squat task.” Clin Biomech. 31:87-92, 2016.
- Bagwell JJ, Fukuda T, Powers CM. “Sagittal plane pelvis motion influences transverse plane motion of the femur: Kinematic coupling at the hip joint. Gait & Posture. 43:120-124, 2016.
- Khayambashi K, Ghoddosi N, Straub RK, Powers CM. “Hip muscle strength predicts non-contact ACL injury in male and female athletes: A prospective study.” Am J Sports Med. 44:355-361, 2016.
- Hashish R, Samarawickrame S, Powers CM, Salem GJ. “Lower limb dynamics in habitually shod runners who acutely transition to barefoot running.” J Biomech. 49:284-288, 2016.
- Fisher BE, Southam AC, Lee YY, Powers CM. “Evidence of altered corticomotor excitability following targeted activation of gluteus maximus training in health individuals.” Neuroreport. 27:415-421, 2016.
- Liao TC, Yang N, Ho KY, Farrokhi S, Powers CM. “Femur rotation increases patella cartilage stress in females with patellofemoral pain.” Med Sci Sport Exerc. 47;1775-1780, 2015.
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. “The influence of footwear tread groove parameters on available friction.” Appl Ergon. 50;237-241, 2015.
- Blanchette MG, Powers CM. “Slip prediction accuracy and bias of the SATA STM 603 whole shoe tester.” J Testing and Evaluation. 43:491-498, 2015.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cuevas FJ, Gregor RJ, Powers CM. “Lower extremity dexterity is associated with agility in adolescent soccer athletes.” Scand J Med Sci Sport. 25:81-88, 2015.
Lathan C, Myler A, Peterson J, Powers CM, Fisher BE. “Pressure-controlled treadmill training in chronic stroke: A case study.” J Neuro Phys Ther. 39:127-133, 2015.
Teng HL, Powers CM. “Influence of trunk posture on lower extremity energetics during running.” Med Sci Sport Exerc. 47:625-630, 2015.
- Teng HL, Powers CM. “Sagittal plane trunk posture influences patellofemoral joint stress during running.” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 44:785-792, 2014.
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Colletti PM, Powers CM. “Running-induced patellofemoral pain fluctuates with changes in patella water content.” Eur J Sport Sci. 14:628-634, 2014.
- Chen YJ, Powers CM. “Comparison of three dimensional patellofemoral joint reaction forces in persons with and without patellofemoral pain.” J Appl Biomech. 30:493-500, 2014
- Ho KY, Hu HH, Colletti PM, Powers CM. “Recreational runners with patellofemoral pain exhibit elevated patella water content.” Magn Res Imag. 44:320-327, 2014.
- Powers CM, Ho KY, Chen YJ, Souza RB, Farrokhi S. “Patellofemoral joint stress during weight bearing and non-weight bearing quadriceps exercises.” J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 44:320-327, 2014.
- Khayambashi K, Fallah A, Movahedi A, Bagwell J, Powers CM. “Posterolateral hip muscle strengthening versus quadriceps strengthening for patellofemoral pain: A randomized controlled trial.” Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 95:900-907, 2014.
- Stearns KM, Powers CM. “Improvements in hip muscle performance result in increased utilization of the hip extensors and abductors during a landing task.” Am J Sports Med. 42:602-609, 2014
- Lee SP, Powers CM. “Individuals with diminished hip abductor strength exhibit altered ankle biomechanics and neuromuscular activation during unipedal balance tasks.” Gait Posture. 39:933-938, 2014.
- Ho, KY, Keyak JH, Powers CM. “Comparison of patella bone strain between females with and without patellofemoral pain; A finite element analysis study.” J Biomech. 47:230-236, 2014.
- Lyle MA, Valero-Cueva FJ, Gregor RJ, Powers CM. “Control of dynamic foot-ground interactions in male and female soccer athletes: Females exhibit lower dexterity and higher limb stiffness during landing.” J Biomech. 47:512-517, 2014.
- Teng, HL, Chen YJ, Powers CM. “Predictors of patella alignment: An examination of patella height and trochlea geometry.” The Knee. 21:142-146, 2014.
- Witrouw E, Callaghan MJ, Stefanik JJ, Noerhren B, Bazett-Jones DM, Willson JD, Earl-Boehm JE, Davis IS, Powers CM, McConnell J, Crossley KM. “Patellofemoral pain: Consensus statement from the 3rd International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat.” Br J Sports Med, 48:411-414, 2014.