Adjunct Assistant Professor of Research
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90033
Shawn Sorenson is an interdisciplinary health and exercise scientist and educator, specializing in the health and well-being of elite athletes. As a PhD student at USC, he led the first formal study of lifetime health, exercise, and quality-of-life among modern competitive athletes. He also served as founding director of the Trojan Lifetime Champions research and education program, a joint initiative between the division and the USC Department of Athletics. Dr. Sorenson embraces wide-ranging knowledge in epidemiology, exercise physiology, sports biomechanics, strength and conditioning, personal development and the behavioral sciences as key to promoting whole-person health and well-being.
Dr. Sorenson is a former engineer and project manager in the NASA Space Shuttle Program, a member of the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and the founder of S.C. Sorenson Consulting.
- Doctor of Philoshopy, Biokinesiology, University of Southern California, 2012
- Master of Science, Biokinesiology, University of Southern California, 2008
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, Rice University, 2002
- Sorenson, SC, Romano, R, Scholefield, RM, Martin, BE, Gordon, JG, Azen, SP, Schroeder, ET, Salem, GJ (2014). “Holistic life-span health outcomes among elite intercollegiate student-athletes.” Journal of Athletic Training 49(5):684-695.
- Sorenson, SC, Romano, R, Azen, SP, Schroeder, ET, Salem, GJ (2015). “Life span exercise among elite intercollegiate student athletes.” Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach 7(1):80-86.
- Sorenson, SC, Romano, R, Scholefield, RM, Schroeder, ET, Azen, SP, Salem, GJ (2015). “The Trojan Lifetime Champions health survey: development, validity, and reliability.” Journal of Athletic Training 50(4):407-418.
- Sorenson, SC, Flanagan, SP (2015). “Age-related changes to composite lower extremity kinetics and their constituents in healthy gait: A perspective on contributing factors and mechanisms.” Healthy Aging Research 4:20.
- Sorenson, SC (2010). “Misleading interpretations and public misinformation on human growth hormone in athletes.” Annals of Internal Medicine 153(5), 345.
- Sorenson, SC, Arya, S, Souza, RB, Pollard, CD, Salem, GJ, Kulig, K (2010). “Knee extensor dynamics in the volleyball approach jump: the influence of patellar tendinopathy.” Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy 40(9), 568-576.
- Heiler, J, Sorenson, SC in Chiu, LZF (2009). “Point/Counterpoint: Sitting back in the squat.” Strength and Conditioning Journal 31(6), 25-27.