Adjunct Instructor of Clinical Physical Therapy
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Jared Vagy is an instructor of clinical physical therapy in the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy. He received his Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from the University of Southern California. As a Doctor of Physical Therapy in clinical practice, he completed a one-year residency program and became a board-certified Orthopedic Specialist. He then completed an additional one-year fellowship program in Movement Science at Kaiser Permanente Hospital.
Dr. Vagy has published over a dozen articles on injury prevention and delivers lectures and seminars internationally on the topic of the movement system. He is a mentor in the USC Orthopedic Residency and the USC DPT program. He is on Academy Faculty for the TheraBand Academy and is on the Editorial Board for ADVANCE Physical Therapy magazine. He is considered an international authority on preventing rock climbing injuries and is the author of the best-selling book, Climb Injury-Free.
Dr. Vagy has completed a rotation at the US Olympic Training Center, served as a physical therapist in China for the Chinese National Track and Field Team, has worked with USA Track and Field at the Olympic Team Trials and has covered international events such as the International Weight Lifting World Championships. He has rehabilitated several world champions, gold medalists and Olympic athletes. His assessments and treatments are rooted deeply in an understanding of the movement system. He is a firm believer in an active approach to rehabilitation and works with clients of all ability levels to achieve their maximal function.
- Movement Science Fellowship, Kaiser Permanente, 2013
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency, Physical Therapy Works, 2011
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, University of Southern California, 2009
- Bachelor of Science, Exercise Biology, Minor in Psychology, University of California-Davis, 2006
- Vagy, Jared S. “Prepare the Wrists and Fingers to Climb” Climbing Magazine. May. 2018: 34-35.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Soaring Beyond Borders.” Advance Jun. 2016: 10-12.
- Vagy, Jared. “Mirroring Movement” Climbing Magazine Dec. 2015.
- Vagy, Jared and Bechtel, Steve “Core Training for Climbers” Climb Magazine Sept. 2015. 43.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Injury Free Movement” Climbing Magazine Jun. 2015: 44-45.
- Vagy, Jared S. “The Missing ACL Link.” Advance Dec. 2014: 16-18.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Ask The Dr.” DPM Magazine Jun. 2014: 8.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Emerging Concepts in Injury Prevention: Pulley Strain.” DPM Climbing Sep. 2014: 46.
- Vagy, Jared S. “What is the true core?” Advance Dec. 2014: 9-10.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Emerging Concepts in Injury Prevention: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.” DPM Climbing Jun. 2014:40-41.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Emerging Concepts in Injury Prevention: Belayer’s Neck.” DPM Climbing March. 2014:53.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Emerging Concepts in Injury Prevention: Climber’s Elbow.” DPM Climbing Dec. 2013:50-51.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Forward Posture in Runners.” Advance Nov. 2013: 10-11.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Emerging Concepts in Injury Prevention: Climbing Warm-Up.” DPM Climbing Sep. 2013:50-51.
- Vagy, Jared S. “Emerging Concepts in Injury Prevention: Rotator Cuff Strain.” DPM Climbing June. 2013:14-15.
Professional Journal Reviews
- Ludovic Seifert et al. “Climbing skill and complexity of climbing wall design: Assessment of Jerk as a novel indicator of performance fluency.” Journal of Applied Biomechanics. March 2014.
- Vagy, Jared. Climb Injury-Free. Los Angeles: The Climbing Doctor, 2016.
- Vagy, Jared and Grosserode, Steve. Prevent Soccer Injuries. Los Angeles: Movement Solutions Press. 2016.
- Vagy, Jared. The Ultimate Climber: Prevent Injury and Peak Performance. Los Angeles: The Climbing Doctor, 2014.
- MacDonald, Dougald and Davis, Pete. Adaptive Climbing. Boulder: Paradox Sports, 2015.