1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
George J. Salem is the director of the Institute for Senior Golf Science. He is also co-director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory and oversees its exercise and aging biomechanics research program. This program recognizes the growing importance of exercise and activity interventions to improve health and quality of life across the lifespan. Its investigations are designed to quantify the musculoskeletal loading and neuromuscular recruitment patterns associated with functional activities and exercise; examine the influence of exercise on muscle dynamics, tissue adaptation, neural control, physical performance, brain function and quality of life; and determine the feasibility, efficacy and mechanisms of action associated with the integration of complementary and alternative modalities, such as yoga, meditation and guided imagery, with traditional rehabilitation therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Biomechanics, University of California, Los Angeles, 1991
- Master of Science, Biomechanics, University of California, Los Angeles, 1988
- Bachelor of Science, Physiological Psychology, University of California, Davis, 1983
- Flanagan, S., Kulik, J, and Salem, G. “The limiting joint during a failed squat: A biomechanical case series.” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (Accepted 4/2015)
- Sorenson SC, Romano R, Scholefield RM, Schroeder ET, Azen SP, Salem GJ. “The Trojan Lifetime Champions Health Survey: Development, Validity, and Reliability.” J Athletic Training; 50(4):407-18. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-50.2.10, 2015.
- Sorenson SC, Romano R, Azen SP, Schroeder ET, Salem GJ. “Lifespan exercise among elite intercollegiate student athletes.” Sports Health. Jan;7(1):80-6. doi: 10.1177/1941738114534813, 2015.
- Hashish R, Samarawickrame SD, Salem GJ. “A Comparison of Dorsal and Heel Plate Foot Tracking Methods on Lower Extremity Dynamics.” J. Biomechanics 47(5), 1211-1214, 2014.
- Sorenson SC, Romano R, Scholefield RM, Martin BE, Gordon JE, Azen SP, Schroeder ET, Salem GJ. “Holistic life-span health outcomes among elite intercollegiate student-athletes.” J Athl Train;49(5):684-95. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-49.3.18, 2014.
- Hashish R, Samarawickrame SD, Wang MY, Yu SS, Salem GJ. “The Association Between Heel-Rise Performance with Static and Dynamic Balance in Community Dwelling Older Adults.” Geriatric Nursing 9(3) doi:10.1016/j.gerinurse.2014.09.003, 2014..
- Salem, G.,Yu, S-Y., Wang, M-Y., Samarawickrame, S., Hashish, R., and Greendale, G., “Physical Demand Profiles of Hatha Yoga Postures Performed by Older Adults.” Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Article ID 165763, 13: 1-29, 2013.
- Fisher, B., Nacca, Q., Salem, G., Song, J. Yip, J., Conte, P., Jakowec, M., and Petzinger, G. “Treadmill exercise elevates dopamine D2 receptor binding potential in patients with early Parkinson’s disease.” Neuro Report, 2013.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., and G.J. Salem. “Potentiation of vertical jumping performance during a weightlifting training session.” Journal Applied Biomechanics: 28: 627-635, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., Hashish, R., Samarawickrame, S., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. “Physical demands of standing yoga poses in seniors: yoga empowers seniors study (YESS),” BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine Article ID: 2099618558770127, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., Hashish, R., Samarawickrame, S., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. “Biomechanical demands of standing yoga poses in seniors: yoga empowers seniors study (YESS),” BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 13:8 2013, (PMCID23302513).
- Yu, S-Y., Wang, M-Y., Samarawickrame, S., Hashish, R., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. “The physical demands of the tree (vriksasana) and one leg balance (utthita hasta padangusthasana) poses performed by seniors: a biomechanical examination” Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Article ID 971896, 2012:1-11, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. “Yoga improves upper extremity function and scapular posturing in persons with hyperkyphosis.” Journal of Yoga Physical Therapy 2(3):1-6, 2012.
- Greendale, G Kazadi, L., Mazdyasni, S., Ramirez, E., Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., and Salem, G. “The yoga empowers seniors study (YESS): design and asana series.” Journal of Yoga Physical Therapy 2 (1):1-8, 2012, (PMCID23641315).
- Song, J, Sigward, S, Fisher, B, and Salem, G. “Altered dynamic postural control during step turning in persons with early stage Parkinson’s disease.” Parkinson’s Disease, Article ID 386962, 2012:1-8, 2012.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., and G.J. Salem. “Pelvic kinematic method for determining vertical jump height.” Journal Applied Biomechanics 26: 508-511, 2010.
- Sorenson, S., Arya, S., Souza, R., Pollard, C., Salem, G., and Kulig, K., “Altered knee extensor dynamics in the volleyball approach jump: the influence of patellar tendinopathy.” Journal Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 40: 568-576, 2010.
- Souza, R, Arya, S., Pollard, C., Salem, G., and Kulig, K., “Patellar tendinopathy alters the distribution of lower extremity joint effort during hopping.” Journal Applied Biomechanics 26: 249-256, 2010.
- Chiu, L., and Salem, G.. “Time series analysis: evaluating trends in exercise and athletic performance.” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24:230-234, 2010.
- Chodzko-Zajko , W.J., Minson, C.T., Nigg, C.R., Fiatarone, M.A., Proctor, D. Salem, G.J., Skinner, J.S. “ACSM Position stand on exercise and physical activity for older adults.” Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 41:1510-1530, 2009.
- Song, J-E., Fisher, B., Wu, A., Pettsinger, G., Gordon, J., and Salem, G., “The relationships between the unified Parkinson’s disease rating scale and lower-extremity functional performance in persons with early-stage Parkinson’s disease.” Journal Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair 23: 657-661, 2009.
- Fisher, B., Wu, A., Salem, G., Song, J-E., Lin, J., Jakowic, M., Yip, J., Gordon, J., and Pettsinger, G. “The effect of exercise training in improving motor performance and cortico-motor excitability in individuals with early Parkinson’s disease.” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89: 1221-1229, 2008.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., B.K. Schilling, A.C. Fry, and G.J. Salem. :”The influence of deformation on barbell mechanics during the clean pull.” Sport Biomechanics 7:260-273, 2008.
- Flanagan, S. and Salem, G. “Lower extremity joint kinetic responses to external resistance variations.” Journal of Applied Biomechanics 24: 58-68, 2008.
- Flanagan, S. and Salem, G. “Bilateral differences in the net joint torques during the squat exercise.” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 21: 1220-1226, 2007.
- Flanagan, S., Kessans, K., and Salem, G. “Quantifying bilateral joint contributions during a variety of stepping exercises.” Journal of Sport Rehabilitation 15: 255-265, 2006.
- Shaibi, G.Q., Cruz, M.L., Ball, G.D., Weigensberg, Salem G.J., Crespo, N.C., and Goran, M.I. “Effects of resistance training on insulin sensitivity in overweight Latino adolescent males.” Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 38: 1208-1215, 2006.
- Chui, L. and Salem, G. “Comparison of joint kinetics during free weight and flywheel resistance exercise.” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 20: 555-562, 2006.
- Wang, M-Y., Flanagan, S., Song, J-E, Greendale, G.A, Azen, S., and Salem, G.J. “Relations among body weight, joint moments generated during functional activities, and hip bone mass in older adults.” Clinical Biomechanics 21: 717-725, 2006.
- Shaibi, G.Q., Cruz, M.L., Ball, G.D., Salem G.J., Weigensberg, M.J., and Goran, M.I. “Cardiovascular fitness and physical activity in children with and without impaired glucose tolerance.” International Journal of Obesity 30: 45-49, 2006.