Associate Professor of Clinical Physical Therapy
1540 Alcazar St., CHP 155, Los Angeles, CA 90089-9006
Dr. Todd Schroeder’s research focuses on anabolic interventions (androgen therapy and resistance training) to increase muscle mass and strength, ultimately improving physical function and quality of life in older adults. He investigates the mechanisms whereby progressive resistance training and testosterone treatment stimulate protein synthesis and improve muscle quality in older persons.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2000-2003
- Doctor of Philosophy, Biokinesiology, Field of Study: Clinical Exercise Physiology, University of Southern California, 2000
- Master of Arts, Sport Sciences, Field of Study: Exercise Physiology, University of the Pacific, 1996
- Bachelor of Science, Human Physiology, University of California at Davis, 1992
- Dieli-Conwright CM, Spektor TM, Rice JR, Schroeder ET. “Hormone Replacement Therapy Attenuates Exercise-induced Skeletal Muscle Damage in Postmenopausal Women.” J Appl Physiol. (in press/online). 2009.
- Sattler FR, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Binder EF, Schroeder ET, Wang Y, Bhasin S, Kawakubo M, Stewart Y, Yarasheski KE, Ulloor J, Colletti P, Roubenoff R, Azen SP. “Testosterone and growth hormone improve body composition and muscle performance in older men: The HORMA Study.” J Clin Endo Metab. 94(6): 1991-2001, 2009.
- Dieli-Conwright CM, Spektor TM, Rice JR, Schroeder ET. “Estradiol and SERM Treatments Influence Estrogen Receptor Coregulator Gene Expression in Human Skeletal Muscle Cells.” Acta Physiol (in press/online). 2009. DOI:10.1111/j.1748-1716.2009.01997.x
- Dieli-Conwright CM, Jensky-Squires NE, Battaglia G, McCauley S, Schroeder ET. “Validation of the CardioCoachCO2 for Submaximal and Maximal Metabolic Exercise Testing.” Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (in press). 2009.
- Jensky-Squires NE, Dieli-Conwright CM, Rossuello A, Erceg DN, McCauley S, Schroeder ET. “Validity and Reliability of Body Composition Analyzers in Children and Adults.” British Journal of Nutrition Oct. 100(4): 859-865, 2008.
- Schroeder ET, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Wang Y, Binder EF, Kawakubo M, Sterwart Y, Storer T, Roubenoff R, Bhasin S, Yarasheski KE, Sattler FR, Azen SP. “Hormonal Regulators of Muscle and Metabolism in Aging (HORMA): Design and Conduct of a Complex, Double Masked Multicenter Trial.” Clinical Trials 4: 560-571, 2007.
- Jensky NE, Sims JK, Rice JC, Dreyer HC, Schroeder ET. “The Influence of Eccentric Exercise on mRNA Expression of Skeletal Muscle Regulators.” Eur J Appl Phys 101: 473-480, 2007.
- Schroeder ET, Wang Y, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Cloutier G, Vallejo AF, Kawakubo M. Jensky NE, Coomber S, Azen SP, Sattler FR. “Reliability of Maximal Voluntary Muscle Strength and Power Testing in Older Men.” J Gerontology Med Sci 62A, No. 5: 543-549. 2007.
- Schroeder ET, Hawkins SA, Jaque SV, Vallejo AF, Dreyer HC, Shaibi G, Wiswell RA. “Longitudinal Change in Coronary Heart Disease Risk Factors in Older Runners.” Age and Ageing 36: 57-62, 2007.
- Vallejo AF, Schroeder ET, Zheng L, Jensky NE, Sattler FR. “Cardiopulmonary Responses to Eccentric and Concentric Resistance Exercise in Older Adults.” Age and Ageing 35: 291-297, 2006.
- Dreyer HC, Schroeder ET, Hawkins SA, Marcell TH, Tarpenning KM, Vallejo AF, Jensky NE, Shaibi GQ, Spears S, Yamada R, Wiswell RA. “Chronic Exercise and Skeletal Muscle Power in Older Men.” Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 31(3): 190-195, 2006.
- Dreyer HC, Blanco CE, Sattler FR, Schroeder ET, Wiswell RA. “Satellite Cell Numbers in Young and Older Men 24 Hours After Eccentric Exercise.” Muscle and Nerve 33: 242-253, 2006.
- Schroeder ET, Vallejo AF, Zheng L, Yarasheski K, Stewart Y. Maritnez C, Sattler FR. “Six Week Improvements in Muscle mass and Strength During Androgen Therapy in Older Men.” J Geron Med Sci 60A(12): 1586-1592, 2005.
- Storer TW, Woodhouse LJ, Sattler FR, Singh AB, Schroeder ET, Beck K, MaClara P, Mac R, Yarasheski KE, Geurts P, Willemsen A, Harms MK, Bhasin S. “A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Nandrolone Decanoate in HIV-Infected Men with Mild to Moderate Weight Loss with Recombinant Human Growth Hormone as Active Reference Treatment.” J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90(8):4474-4482, 2005.
- Schroeder ET, Zheng L, Ong, M, Martinez, C, Flores C, Stewart Y, Azen C, Sattler FR. “Effects of Androgen Therapy on Adipose Tissue and Metabolism in Older Men.” J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89(10):4863-4872, 2004.
- Schroeder ET, Zheng L, Qian D, Stewart Y, Flores C, Maritnez C, Azen C, M. Terk, Sattler FR. “Treatment with oxandrolone and durability of effects in older men.” J Appl Physiol 96:1055-1062, 2004.
- Schroeder ET, Hawkins SA and Jaque SV. “Musculoskeletal adaptations to 16 weeks of eccentric resistance training in young women.” J Strength Cond Research 18(2), 227-235, 2004.
- Afghani A, Abbott AV, Wiswell RA, Jaque SV, Gleckner C, Schroeder ET, and Johnson CA. “Central adiposity, aerobic fitness, and blood pressure in premenopausal Hispanic women.” Int J Sports Med 2004 25(8): 599-606.
- Afghani A, Abbott AV, Wiswell RA, Jaque SV, Gleckner C, Schroeder ET, and Johnson CA. “Bone mineral density in Hispanic women: role of aerobic capacity, fat-free mass, and adiposity.” Int J Sports Med 2004 25(5): 384-390, 2004.
- Schroeder ET, Terk M, Sattler FR. “Androgen therapy improves muscle mass and strength but not muscle quality: Results from two studies.” Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E16-E24, 2003.
- Schroeder ET, Singh A, Bhasin S, Storer TW, Azen C, Davidson T, Martinez C, Sinha-Hikim I, Jaque SV, Terk M, Sattler FR. “Effects of an oral androgen on muscle and metabolism in older, community dwelling men.” Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E120-128, 2003.
- Hawkins SA, Schroeder ET, Dreyer HC, Underwood S, Wiswell RA. “Five year maintenance of bone mineral density in women master runners.” Med Sci Sports Exerc 35(1):137-144, 2003.
- Sattler FR, Schroeder ET, Dube M, Jaque SV, Marinez C, Blanche PJ, Azen S, Krauss RM. “Metabolic effects of nandrolone decanoate and resistance training in men with HIV.” Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E1214-1222, 2002.
- Dreyer HC, Hawkins SA, Schroeder ET, Hyslop DM, Wiswell RA. “The influence of chronic running and HRT in female master athletes.” J Clin Exerc Physiol 4(2):91-95, 2002.
- Jaque SV, Schroeder ET, Azen SP, Dube MP, Olson C, Afghani A, Wiswell RA, Sattler FR. “Magnitude and timing of regional body composition changes during anabolic therapies in HIV positive males.” Clin Exercise Physiol 4(1):50-9, 2002.
- Hawkins SA, Schroeder ET, Wiswell RA. :The relationship between bone adaptations to resistance exercise and reproductive hormone levels.” J Phys Activ Aging 10(1):64-75, 2002.
- Schroeder ET, Jaque SV, Hawkins SA, Olson C, Wiswell RA, Sattler FR. “Regional DXA and MRI in assessment of muscle adaptation to anabolic stimuli.” Clin Exercise Physiol 3(4):199-206, 2002.
- Wiswell RA, Hawkins SA, Jaque SV, Hyslop D, Constantino N, Tarpenning K, Marcell TJ, Schroeder ET. “Relationship between physiologic loss, performance decrements, and age in master athletes.” J Gerontology Med Sci. 56A(10):M618-M626, 2001.
- Hawkins SA, Schroeder ET, Wiswell RA, Jaque SV, Marcell TJ, Costa KE. “Eccentric muscle action increases site-specific osteogenic response.” Med Sci Sports Exerc 31(9):1287-1292, 1999.
- Sattler FR,Jaque SV, Schroeder ET, Olson C, Dube MP, Martinez C, Briggs W, Horton R, Azen SP. “Effects of pharmacologic doses of nandrolone decanoate and progressive resistance training in immunodeficient patients infected with HIV.” J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:1268-72, 1999.
- Hawkins SA, Wiswell RA, Jaque SV, Marcell TJ, Tarpenning KT, Constantino NL, Schroeder ET, Hyslop DM. “The inability of hormone replacement therapy or chronic running to maintain bone mass in master athletes.” J Gerontology Med Sci 54A(9):M451-455, 1999.