Dr. Tilson is Associate Professor of Clinical Physical Therapy at the University of Southern California (USC) Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy. She specializes in understanding the most effective methods for translating rehabilitation research into clinical practice. Dr. Tilson teaches Evidence Based Practice (EBP) in USC's Doctor of Physical Therapy program and to clinicians nationally and internationally. Her curricula emphasize active learning and the integration of scientific research,clinical expertise, and patient perspectives into clinical decision making. Dr. Tilson is co-author of the popular text, Evidence Based Physical Therapy (FA Davis, 2012), and has authored over 25 peer-reviewed publications. She has specialty training in and teaches vestibular rehabilitation in the USC DPT program and nationally for practicing clinicians. Dr. Tilson is a Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy and a member of the American Physical Therapy Association and the International Society for Evidence Based Healthcare.
- Masters of Science in Biomedical and Clinical Investigations, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. 2009
- Doctor of Physical Therapy, Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Thearpy, University of Southern California, Los Angles, CA. 1998
- Bachelor of Science, Physical Education: Exercise Physiology, University of California, Davis, CA. 1995
- Tilson JK, Mickan S, Howard R, Sum JC, Zibell M, Cleary L, Mody B, Michener, L. Promoting physical therapists’ use of research to inform clinical practice: part 3 – long term feasibility assessment of the PEAK program. BMC Med Educ. 2016;16(1):144.
- Tilson JK, Loeb K, Barbosa S, Jiang F, Lee KT. Use of tablet computers to promote physical therapy students' engagement in knowledge translation during clinical experiences. J Neurol Phys Ther. 2016;40(2):81-89.
- Kaplan SL, Tilson JK, Levine S, George SZ, Fay D, Hack L, Jewell DV, Wainner R. Strategies for Using the APTA Section on Research Evidence-Based Practice Curriculum Guidelines. J Phys Ther Educ. 2016;30(2):23-31.
- Liphart J, Gallichio J, Tilson JK, Pei Q, Wu SS, Duncan PW. Concordance and discordance between measured and perceived balance and the effect on gait speed and falls following stroke. Clin Rehabil. 2016;30(3):294-302.
- Ilic D, Nordin RB, Glasziou P,Tilson JK, Villanueva E. A randomised controlled trial of a blended learning education intervention for teaching evidence-based medicine. BMC Med Educ. 2015;15:39.
- Phillips AC, Lewis LK, McEvoy MP, Galipeau J, Glasziou P, Hammick M, Moher D, Tilson JK, Williams MT. A Delphi survey to determine how educational interventions for evidence-based practice should be reported: stage 2 of the development of a reporting guideline. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14:159.
- Phillips AC, Lewis LK, McEvoy MP, Galipeau J, Glasziou P, Hammick M, Moher D, Tilson JK, Williams MT. A systematic review of how studies describe educational interventions for evidence-based practice: stage 1 of the development of a reporting guideline. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14:152.
- Mickan S, Atherton H, Robers NW, Heneghan, Tilson JK. Use of handheld computers in clinical practice: a systematic review. BMC Med Inform and Decis Mak. 2014:14:56.
- Tilson JK, Mickan S. Promoting physical therapists’ use of research evidence to inform clinical practice: part 1 - theoretical foundation, evidence, and description of the PEAK program. Revision in review. BMC Med Ed. 2014:14:125.
- Tilson JK, Mickan S, Sum JC, Zibell M, Dylla J, Howard R. Promoting physical therapists’ use of research evidence to inform clinical practice: part 2 - a mixed methods evaluation of the PEAK program. Revision in review. BMC Med Ed. 2014:14:126.
- Ilic D, Nordin RB, Glasziou P, Tilson JK, Villanueva E. Development and validation of the ACE tool: assessing medical trainees' competency in evidence based medicine. BMC Med Ed. 2014;14:114
- Ilic D, Nordin RB, Glasziou P, Tilson JK, Villanueva E. Implementation of a blended learning approach to teaching evidence based practice: a protocol for a mixed methods study. BMC Med Ed. 2013; 13:170.
- Mickan S, Tilson JK, Atherton H, Roberts NW, Heneghan C. Evidence of effectiveness – healthcare professionals using handheld computers: A scoping review of systematic reviews. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15(10):e212.
- Nadeau SE, Wu SS, Dobkin BH, Azen SP, Rose DK, Tilson JK, Cen SY, Duncan PW. Effects of Task-Specific and Impairment-Based Training Compared With Usual Care on Functional Walking Ability After Inpatient Stroke Rehabilitation LEAPS Trial. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2013; 27: 370-380.
- Rose DK, Behrman AL, Nadeau SE, Martin AD, Schofield RS, Tilson JK, Cen SY, Lu X, Wu SS, Azen S, Duncan PW. Does Exercise Tolerance Testing at 60 days Post-Stroke Predict Rehabilitation Performance? Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2013; 94(7):1223-1229.
- Phillips AC, Lewis LK, McEvoy MP, Galipeau J, Glasziou P, Hammick M, Moher D, Tilson JK, Williams MT. Protocol for development of the guideline for reporting evidence based practice educational interventions and teaching (GREET) statement. BMC Med Ed. 2013:13(9).
- Tilson JK, Wu SS, Cen SY, Feng Q, Rose DR, Behrman AL, Azen S, Duncan PW for the LEAPS Investigative Team. Characterizing and identifying risk for falls in the LEAPS study: a randomized clinical trial of interventions to improve walking post-stroke. Stroke. 2012;43:446-452.
- Tilson JK, Kaplan SL, Harris JL, Hutchinson A, Ilic D, Niederman R, Potomkova J, Zwolsman S. Sicily Statement on Classification and Development of Evidence-Based Practice Learning Assessment Tools. BMC Med Ed. 2011; 11:78.
- Duncan PW, Sullivan KJ, Behrman AL, Azen SP, Wu SS, Nadeau SE, Dobkin BH, Rose DK, Tilson JK, Cen SY, and Hayden SK, for the LEAPS Investigative Team. Body-Weight–Supported Treadmill Rehabilitation after Stroke. N Engl J Med. 2011; 364(21):2026-2036.
- Sullivan KJ, Tilson JK, Cen SY, Rose DK, HershbergJ, Correa A, Gallichio J, McLeod M, Moore C, Wu SS, Duncan PW. Fugl-Meyer Assessment of Sensorimotor Function After Stroke: Standardized Training Procedure for Clinical Practice and Clinical Trials. Stroke. 2011;42:427-432.
- Glasziou P, Chalmers I, Altman DG, Bastian H, Boutron I, Brice A, Jamtvedt G, Farmer A, Ghersi D, Groves T, Heneghan C, Hill S, Lewin S, Michie S, Perera R, Pomeroy V, Tilson J, Shepperd S, Williams JW. Taking healthcare interventions from trial to practice. BMJ. 2010;341, 384-387.
- Tilson JK. Validation of the modified Fresno Test: assessing physical therapists’ evidence based practice knowledge and skills. BMC Med Ed. 2010, 10:38.
- Tilson JK, Sullivan KJ, Cen CY, Rose DK, Koradia CH, Azen PA, Duncan PW for the LEAPS Investigative Team. Meaningful gait speed improvement during the first 60 days post stroke: Minimal Clinically Important Difference. Phys Ther. 2010; 90(2):196-208.
- Tilson JK, Settle SM, Sullivan KJ. Application of Evidence-Based Practice Strategies: Current Trends in Walking Recovery Interventions Poststroke. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. 2008; 15(3): 227-246.
- Duncan PW, Sullivan KJ, Behrman AL, Azen S, Wu SS, Nadeau SE, Dobkin BE, Rose DK, Tilson JK, for the LEAPS Investigative Team. Protocol for the Locomotor Experience Applied Post-stroke (LEAPS) trial: A randomized controlled trial. BMC Neurol. 2007;7(1):39.