Dr. Sorenson is an interdisciplinary health and exercise scientist and educator, specializing in the health and well-being of elite athletes. As a PhD student at USC, he led the first formal study of lifetime health, exercise, and quality-of-life among modern competitive athletes, and served as founding director of the Trojan Lifetime Champions (TLC) research and education program, a joint initiative between the Division and the USC Department of Athletics. Dr. Sorenson embraces wide-ranging knowledge in epidemiology, exercise physiology, sports biomechanics, strength and conditioning, personal development, and the behavioral sciences as key to promoting whole-person health and well-being.
Dr. Sorenson is a former engineer and project manager in the NASA Space Shuttle Program, a member of the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and the founder of S.C. Sorenson Consulting.
- University of Southern California, Ph.D., Biokinesiology, 2012
- University of Southern California, M.S., Biokinesiology, 2008
- Rice University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2002
- Sorenson, SC, Romano, R, Scholefield, RM, Martin, BE, Gordon, JG, Azen, SP, Schroeder, ET, Salem, GJ. Holistic lifespan health outcomes among elite intercollegiate student-athletes. Journal of Athletic Training. In Press.
- Sorenson, SC, Romano, R, Scholefield, RM, Schroeder, ET, Azen, SP, Salem, GJ. The Trojan Lifetime Champions health survey: development, validity, and reliability. Journal of Athletic Training. In Press.
- Sorenson, SC, Arya, S, Souza, RB, Pollard, CD, Salem, GJ, Kulig, K. Knee extensor dynamics in the volleyball approach jump: the influence of patellar tendinopathy. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy 40(9), 568-576, 2010.
- Sorenson, SC. Misleading interpretations and public misinformation on human growth hormone in athletes. Annals of Internal Medicine 153(5), 345, 2010.
- Heiler, J, Sorenson, SC in Chiu, LZF. Point/Counterpoint: sitting back in the squat. Strength and Conditioning Journal 31(6), 25-27, 2009.