Understanding brain and spinal cord networks controlling muscle fibers with neuroimaging, electrophysiology, and mathematical models; optimizing rehabilitation for restoring normal control of muscle in individuals with chronic pain.
- Princeton University, B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, 2001
- University of Michigan, Ph.D., Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics, 2008
- University of Southern California, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Biomedical Engineering, 2010
- Kutch JJ, Valero-Cuevas FJ, "Challenges and new approaches to proving the existence of muscle synergies of neural origin", In Review
- Inouye JM, Kutch JJ, Valero-Cuevas FJ. "A Comprehensive Computational Framework to Evaluate Grasp Quality of Tendon-Driven Hands with Arbitrary Topology" In Review
- Kutch JJ, Valero-Cuevas FJ, "Muscle redundancy does not imply robustness to muscle dysfunction", Journal of Biomechanics, 44:1264-1270, 2011.
- Kutch JJ, Kuo AD, Rymer WZ, "Extraction of individual muscle mechanical action from endpoint force". Journal of Neurophysiology 103: 3535-3546, 2010.
- (All authors contributed equally), Valero-Cuevas FJ, Hoffmann H, Kurse MU, Kutch JJ, Theodorou EA, "Computational models for neuromuscular function" (Invited review), IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering, 2:110-135, 2009.
- Kutch JJ, Kuo AD, Bloch AM, Rymer WZ "Endpoint force fluctuations reveal flexible rather than synergistic patterns of muscle cooperation". Journal of Neurophysiology 100: 2455-2471, 2008.
- Cover article in November 2008 issue
- Article of outstanding interest in review by Tresch MC and Jarc A, "The case for and against muscle synergies". Current Opinion in Neurobiology 2009, 19:1-7. 2
- Kutch JJ, Suresh NL, Bloch AM, Rymer WZ, "Analysis of firing rate and synchronization on spike-triggered averaging of multidirectional motor unit torque", Journal of Computational Neuroscience, 22(3): 347-361, 2007.
- Kutch JJ, Buchanan TS, "Human elbow joint torque is linearly encoded in electromyograhpic signals from multiple muscles", Neuroscience Letters, 311(2): 97-100, 2001.