Dr. Kulig's research is clinically motivated and experimentally tested. She studies orthopedic conditions with recurrent symptoms, including low back pain and tendinopathies. In that context she explores tissue morphology, physiology and movement strategies in a broad range of activities, pathology stages and populations. This question-driven approach and focused collaborative efforts serve as a framework for the study of age-and activity-related degenerative processes, and accompanying peripheral and central adaptations and clinical presentations. Dr. Kulig is Co-Director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Laboratory.
- Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, B.S., Physical Therapy 1986
- The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomechanics 1983
- Academy of Physical Education, Wroclaw, Poland, Ph.D., Biomechanics 1982
- Academy of Physical Education, Wroclaw, Poland, M.S., Physical Therapy and Physical Education 1976
View a complete PubMed search
View a complete Google Scholar search
- Kulig K, Noceti-DeWit L, Reischl SF, Landel RF: Physical Therapists’ Role in Prevention and Management of Patellar Tendinopathy Injuries in Youth, Collegiate and Middle-aged Indoor Volleyball Athletes: Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy 19(5): 410-420, 2015.
- Michener LA and Kulig K: Not all tendons are created equal – implications for differing treatment approaches. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 45(11): 829-831, 2015.
- Chang Y-J and Kulig K: The Neuromechanical Adaptations to Achilles Tendinosis. J Physiology, 593(15) 3373-3387, 2015.
- Kulig K, Noceti-DeWit L, Reischl SF, Landel RF: Physical Therapists’ Role in Prevention and Management of Patellar Tendinopathy Injuries in Youth, Collegiate and Middle-aged Indoor Volleyball Athletes: Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy 19(5): 410-420, 2015
- Rowley KM, Jarvis DN, Kurihara T, Fietzer AL, Chang YJ, Kulig K: Toe flexor strength, flexibility and function and flexor hallucis longus tendon morphology in dancers and non-dancers. Med Probl Perform Art.30(3):152-156, 2015.
- Sutton-Traina K, Armour Smith J, Jarvis DN, Lee SP, Kulig K: Exploring active and passive contributors to turn out in dancers and non-dancers. Med Probl Perform Art. 593(15) 3373-3387, 2015.
- Jarvis DN and Kulig K. Pointing the foot without sickling: an examination of ankle movement during jumping. Med Probl Perform Art. 30(1):61-5, 2015.
- Armour-Smith J and Kulig K: Does insertion of intramuscular electrodes alter motor behavior during locomotion? In Review: Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. J Electromyogr Kinesiol.25(3):431-7, 2015.
- Kulig K, Lee SP, Reischl SF, Noceti-DeWit L: Effect of Tibialis Posterior Tendon Dysfunction on Unipedal Standing Balance Test. Foot and Ankle International, 36(1):83-9, 2015.
- Kulig K, Joiner DG, Chang YJ: Elite Male Volleyball Athletes with Patellar Tendinopathy Land at a More Acute Angle than those with Asymptomatic Patellar Tendons. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 36(5):400-406, 2015.
- Kulig K, Oki K, Chang Y-J, Bashford GR: Achilles and patellar tendon morphology in dancers with and without tendinopathy. Medical Problems in Performing Artists, 29(4):221-228, 2014.
- Jarvis DN, Smith JA, Kulig K. Trunk Coordination in Dancers and Non-Dancers. J Appl Biomech. 30:547-554, 2014.
- Armour Smith J, Popovich JM Jr., Kulig K: The effect of hip strength on the lower limbs and trunk during walking and hopping, Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 44:525-531, 2014.
- Davenport TE, Cleland JA, Yamada KA, Kulig K: Measurement properties of the Low Back Activity Confidence (LoBACKS). Evaluation and the Health Professions. March 31 [Epub ahead of print] 2014.
- Beneck GJ, Popovich JM Jr., Selkowitz DM, Azen S, Kulig K, and Physical Therapy Clinical Research Network (PTClinResNet), Intensive, Progressive Exercise Improves Quality of Life Following Lumbar Microdiskectomy: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Clinical Rehabilitation. March 14 [Epub ahead of print] 2014.
- Kulig K: Residencies Education in Every Town: Is it Just so Simple? Physical Therapy, 94:151-161, 2014.
- Poppert EM, Kulig K: High volume exercise training following microdiscectomy (LEAP). Physical Therapy, 93:591-596, 2013.
- Kulig K, Landel RF, Chang EY, Hannanvash N, Reischl SF, Song PF, Bashford GR: Patellar Tendon Morphology in Volleyball Athletes with and without Patellar Tendinopathy. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 23:81-88, 2013.
- Popovich JM, Jr., Welcher JW, Hedman TP, Tawackoli W, Anand N, Chen TC, Kulig K: Lumbar facet joint and intervertebral disc loading during simulated frontal plane pelvic obliquity. The Spine Journal, 13:1581-1589, 2013
- Beneck GJ, Baker LL, Kulig K: Fatigability assessment of the lumbar extensors in persons with chronic low back pain: an EMG spectral analysis using intramuscular electrodes. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 23:70-77, 2013.
- Fietzer AL, Chang YJ, Kulig K: Approach angle is strongly linked to braking impulse during landing from a dance leap. Journal of Sports Sciences, 30:1157-1163, 2012.
- Hassett EK, Kulig K, Colletti PM: Xanthomatous Tendinosis, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 42:379, 2012.
- Beneck GJ, Kulig K:Localized and bilateral multifidus atrophy in active persons with chronic unilateral low back pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 93:300-306, 2012.
- Smith Armour J, Siemienski A, Popovich JM Jr, Kulig K: Intra-task variability of trunk coordination during a rate-controlled bipedal dance jump. Journal of Sports Sciences, 30:139-147, 2012.
- Popovich JM Jr., Kulig K: Lumbopelvic landing kinematics and EMG in women with contrasting hip strength. Medicine and Science is Sports and Exercise, 41:146-153, 2012.
- Mulroy SJ, Winstein CJ, Kulig K, Beneck GJ, Fowler E, DeMuth S, Sullivan KJ, Brown DA, Lane C:The Effect of Physical Therapy on the disablement-Enablement Process: Insights from the PTClinResNet Database. Physical Therapy, 91:1766-1779, 2011.
- Yamada KA, Lewthwaite R, Popovich JM Jr, Beneck GJ, Kulig K: The Low Back Activity Confidence Scale (LoBACS): Preliminary Validity and Reliability. Physical Therapy, 91:1592-1603, 2011.
- Kulig K, Popovich JM Jr., Nocetti-DeWit L, Reischl SF, Kim D: Persons with Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction have Diminished Hip Muscle Performance. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 41:687-694, 2011.
- Kulig K, Loudon JK, Popovich JM Jr., Pollard CD, Winder BR: Dancers with Achilles tendinopathydemonstrate altered lower extremity take-off kinematics. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 41:606-613, 2011.
- Poppert E and Kulig K: Hip Osteoarthritis in a Patient Presenting with Medial Knee Pain. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 40:33, 2011.
- Kulig K, Fietzer AL, Popovich JM Jr. Takeoff and Landing Ground Reaction Forces and Knee Mechanics during a Saut de Chat. Journal of Sports Sciences, 29:125-131, 2011.
- Kulig K, Hanigan-Harper K, Souza RB, Powers CM. Femoral torsion measured by ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging: concurrent validity. Physical Therapy, 90:1641-1648, 2010.
- Davenport TE, Kulig K, Fisher BE: Ankle manual therapy for individuals with post-acute ankle sprains: description of a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2010, 10:59.
- Souza R, Arya S, Pollard CD, Salem GJ, Kulig K: Patellar Tendinopathy Alters the Distribution of Lower Extremity Joint Effort during Hopping. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 26, 249-255, 2010.
- Sorenson SC, Arya S, Souza SB, Pollard CD, Salem GJ, Kulig K: Altered Knee Extensor Dynamics in the Volleyball Approach Jump: The Influence of Patellar Tendinopathy. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 40:568-576, 2010.
- Flanagan SP, Kulig K: Time Courses of Adaptation in Lumbar Extensor Performance of Patients with a Single Level Microdiscectomy during a Physical Therapy Exercise Program. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 40:336-344, 2010.
- Arya S and Kulig K: Tendinopathy Alters Mechanical and Material Properties of the Achilles Tendon. JAP, 108: 670-675, 2010.
- Cleland JA, Fritz JM, Kulig K, Davenport TE, Eberhart S, Magel J, Childs J: Comparison of the Effectiveness of Three Manual Physical Therapy Techniques in a Subgroup of Patients with Low Back Pain Who Satisfy a Clinical Prediction Rule: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Spine, 34:2720-2729, 2009.
- Kulig K, Beneck GJ, Selkowitz DM, Popovich JM Jr., Ge TT, Flanagan SP, Poppert EM, Yamada K, Powers CM, Azen S, Winstein CJ, Gordon J, Samudrala S, Chen TC, Shamie N, Khoo L, Spoonamore MJ, Wang JC and Physical Therapy Clinical Research Network (PTClinResNet), The effect of an intensive, progressive exercise program on functional performance in patients post single-level lumbar microdiscectomy. Physical Therapy, 89:1145-1157, 2009.
- Johnson SD, Kulig K: Patellar tendon rupture following an acute knee injury. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 90:825, 2009.
- Kulig K, Lederhaus E, Reischl SF, Arya S, Bashford GB: Does a 10-week tendon specific eccentric exercise program alter the degenerated tibialis posterior tendon? Foot and Ankle International.30:877-885, 2009.
- Fisher BE, Davenport TE, Kulig K, Wu AD: Identification of potential neuromotor mechanisms of manual therapy in patients with musculoskeletal disablement: rationale and description of a clinical trial. BMC Neurology, 9:20, 2009.
- Kulig K, Reischl SF, Pomrantz AB, Burnfield JM, Mais-Requejo S, Thordarson DB, Smith RW: Non-operative management of tibialis posterior tendon dysfunction using orthoses and resistive exercise: a randomized clinical trial. Physical Therapy, 89:26-36, 2009.
Kulig K, Brown A, Beauregard R, Popovich JM, Beneck GJ, Colletti PM: Multifidus morphology in persons scheduled for single level microdiscectomy: qualitative and quantitative assessment with anatomical correlates. AJPM&R, 88:259-265, 2009.
- Winstein CJ, Pate P, Ge T, Ervin C, Baurley J, Sullivan, K, Underwood SJ, Fowler, E, Mulroy S, Brown D, Kulig K, Gordon J, Azen S, The Physical Therapy Clinical Research Network (PTClinResNet): Methods, Efficacy and Benefits of a Rehabilitation Research Network. AJPM&R, 87:937-950, 2008.
- Kulig K, Burnfield JM: The Role of Biomechanics in Orthopedic and Neurological Rehabilitation Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics, 10:3-14, 2008.
- Bober T, Dziuba A, Kobel-Buys K, Kulig K: Gait characteristics following Achilles tendon elongation: the foot rocker perspective. Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics,10:37-42, 2008.
- Bashford GR, Tomsen N, Arya S, Burnfield JM, Kulig K: Tendinopathy determination by use of spatial frequency parameters in ultrasound B-mode images. IEEE Trans. Med Imaging, 27:608-615, 2008.
- Powers CM, Beneck GJ, Kulig K, Landel R, Fredricson M: The effects of a single session of posterior to anterior spinal mobilization on pain response and lumbar segmental extension in persons with nonspecific low back pain. Physical Therapy, 88:485-493, 2008.
- Landel RF, Kulig K, Fredricson M, Li B, Powers CM: Intertester reliability and validity of manual lumbar spine segmental motion testing. Physical Therapy, 88:43-49, 2008.
- Flanagan SP, Kulig K: Assessing musculoskeletal performance of the back extensors following a single-level microdiscectomy. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 37:356-363, 2007.
- Kulig K, Powers CM, Landel R, Chen K, Fredricson M, Guillet M, Butts K: Segmental lumbar mobility in individuals with central low back pain: In vivo assessment during passive and active motion using dynamic MRI. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 8:8, 2007.