Dr. Yamada practices at USC Physical Therapy Associates, a faculty practice of the Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy. She specializes in orthopaedic, neurologic, lymphedema, and oncology related disorders. Dr. Yamada is certified by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties as an Orthopedic Clinical Specialist. Dr.Yamada is also a Certified Athletic Trainer and a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist. She is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) and the California Physical Therapy Association (CPTA). She is the elected chair of the California Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy Special Interest Group (COMPTSIG).
Dr.Yamada is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Physical Therapy in the USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy. She teaches in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program for content related to oncology curriculum and therapeutic modalities. She has been a guest presenter at the APTA’s annual Combined Sections Meeting and at the International Head and Neck Symposiums. She is an APTA credentialed clinical instructor for physical therapy student interns. She is also a faculty mentor in the Orthopedic Physical Therapy residency program at USC. Dr.Yamada is involved in clinical physical therapy research and has publications related to self-efficacy and low back pain. She is also currently involved in research for lymphedema management and physical therapy after head and neck cancer treatment. She is running the USC Head and Neck Rehabilitation Program with the support of the Head and Neck Support International support group to help un-insured and under-insured patients get physical therapy after cancer treatment. She is also the Healthcare Compliance Liaison representing the Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy.
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA; Doctor of Physical Therapy, 2006
- University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI; Bachelor of Science, Biology, 1999
- Davenport TE, Cleland JA, Yamada KA, Kulig K. Measurement Properties of the Low Back Activity Confidence Scale (LoBACS). Evaluation and the Health Professions, 2014; Published online ahead of print 31 March 2014.
- Yamada KA, Lewthwaite R, Popovich JM Jr., Beneck GJ, Kulig K. The Low Back Activity Confidence Scale: Preliminary Validity and Reliability. Physical Therapy Journal, 2011; 91(11):1592-1603.
- Davenport TE, Austin A, Yamada KA. The CAB model of pain-related activity avoidance: description and implications for research and practice in physical therapy. Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Practice. 2009;21(4):127-134.
- Kulig K, Beneck GJ, Selkowitz DM, Popovich JM Jr., Ge TT, Flanagan SP, Poppert EM, Yamada KA, Powers CM, Azen S, Winstein CJ, Gordon J, Samudrala S, Chen TC, Shamie N, Khoo L, Spoonamore MJ, Wang JC and Physical Therapy Clinical Research Network (PTClinResNet), The effect of an intensive, progressive exercise program on disability and functional performance in patients post single-level lumbar microdiscectomy. 2009;89:1145-1157.
- Selkowitz DM, Kulig K, Poppert EM, Flanagan SP, Matthews ND, Beneck GJ, Popovich Jr. JM, Lona JR, Yamada KA, Burke WS, Ervin C, Powers CM, and Physical Therapy Clinical Research Network (PTClinResNet). The immediate and long-term effects of exercise and patient education on physical, functional, and quality-of-life outcome measures after single-level lumbar microdiscectomy: a randomized controlled trial protocol. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2006, 7:70.
- Yamada KA, Yamaguchi N, Perdomo M. Head and Neck Cancer Rehabilitation: A Pilot and Feasibility Program. Podium presentation at the CPTA Annual Conference in Pasadena, CA (Sept 21, 2013) and Poster presented at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting (February 6, 2014), USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy Research Day (April 11, 2013), at the School of Dentistry Research Day (Feb 20, 2013).
- Davenport TE, Cleland JA, Lewthwaite R, Yamada KA, Kulig K. Validity of the Low Back Activity Confidence Scale in a subgroup of patients with lower back pain who meet a clinical prediction rule. Presented at American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Combined Sections Meeting, February 2009, Las Vegas, NV.
- Davenport TE, Cleland JA, Lewthwaite R, Yamada KA, Childs J, Fritz J, Kulig K. Responsiveness of the Low Back Activity Confidence Scale in a Subgroup of Patients with Lower Back Pain: Preliminary Analysis. Presented at American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Combined Sections Meeting, February 2008, Nashville, TN.
- Yamada KA, Lewthwaite R, Popovich Jr. JM, Beneck GJ, Selkowitz DM, Kulig K. The Low Back Activity Confidence Scale (LoBACS): development, test-retest reliability, and preliminary validation. Presented at American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Combined Sections Meeting, February 2007, Boston, MA.
- Flanagan SP, Yamada K, Sutton T, Kulig K. Predicting the Number of Sessions Necessary to Improve Back Extensor Endurance Following Single Level Microdiscectomy. Presented at American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Combined Sections Meeting, February 2006, San Diego, CA.