George J. Salem, PhD
Dr. Salem is an Associate Professor in the Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy, Co-Director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory (MBRL), and Director of the Institute for Senior Golf Science www.pt.usc.edu/golfscience . Within MBRL, he directs the Exercise and Aging Biomechanics research program. This program recognizes the growing importance of exercise and activity interventions in improving health and life-quality across the lifespan. Investigations are designed to: 1) quantify the musculoskeletal loading and neuromuscular recruitment patterns associated with functional activities and exercise (e.g. golf); 2) examine the influence of exercise prescription on muscle dynamics, tissue adaptation, neural control, physical performance, brain function, and ultimately life quality; and 3) examine the feasibility, efficacy, and mechanisms-of-action associated with the integration of complementary and alternative modalities (CAM), such as yoga, meditation, and guided imagery, with traditional rehabilitation therapy. Study participants include children, younger & older adults, elite athletes, and patients with neurological disease.
- University of California, Los Angeles -Department of Kinesiology, Ph.D. Biomechanics 1991
- University of California, Los Angeles -Department of Kinesiology, M.S Biomechanics 1988
- University of California, Davis - Department of Psychology, B.S. Physiological Psychology 1983
- Sorenson, S., Romano, R., Scholefield, R., Schroeder, T., Azen, S., and Salem, G. The Trojan lifetime champions health survey: development, validity, and reliability. Journal of Athletic Training (In press).
- Sorenson, S., Gordon, J., Romano, R., Azen, S., Schroeder, T., and Salem, G. Holistic lifespan health outcomes among elite intercollegiate student-athletes. Journal of Athletic Training (In press).
- Salem, G.,Yu, S-Y., Wang, M-Y., Samarawickrame, S., Hashish, R., and Greendale, G., Physical Demand Profiles of Hatha Yoga Postures Performed by Older Adults. Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Article ID 165763, 13: 1-29, 2013.
- Fisher, B., Nacca, Q., Salem, G., Song, J. Yip, J., Conte, P., Jakowec, M., and Petzinger, G. Treadmill exercise elevates dopamine D2 receptor binding potential in patients with early Parkinson’s disease. Neuro Report, 2013.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., and G.J. Salem. Potentiation of vertical jumping performance during a weightlifting training session. Journal Applied Biomechanics: Journal Applied Biomechanics: 28: 627-635, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., Hashish, R., Samarawickrame, S., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. Physical demands of standing yoga poses in seniors: yoga empowers seniors study (YESS), BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine Article ID: 2099618558770127, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., Hashish, R., Samarawickrame, S., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G.Biomechanical demands of standing yoga poses in seniors: yoga empowers seniors study (YESS), BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 13:8 2013, (PMCID23302513).
- Yu, S-Y., Wang, M-Y., Samarawickrame, S., Hashish, R., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G.The physical demands of the tree (vriksasana) and one leg balance (utthita hasta padangusthasana) poses performed by seniors: a biomechanical examination, Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Article ID 971896, 2012:1-11, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. Yoga improves upper extremity function and scapular posturing in persons with hyperkyphosis. Journal of Yoga Physical Therapy 2(3):1-6, 2012.
- Greendale, G Kazadi, L., Mazdyasni, S., Ramirez, E., Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., and Salem, G.The yoga empowers seniors study (YESS): design and asana series. Journal of Yoga Physical Therapy 2 (1):1-8, 2012, (PMCID23641315).
- Song, J, Sigward, S, Fisher, B, and Salem, G. Altered dynamic postural control during step turning in persons with early stage Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s Disease, Article ID 386962, 2012:1-8, 2012.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., and G.J. Salem. Pelvic kinematic method for determining vertical jump height. Journal Applied Biomechanics 26: 508-511, 2010.
- Sorenson, S., Arya, S., Souza, R., Pollard, C., Salem, G., and Kulig, K., Altered knee extensor dynamics in the volleyball approach jump: the influence of patellar tendinopathy. Journal Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 40: 568-576, 2010.
- Souza, R, Arya, S., Pollard, C., Salem, G., and Kulig, K., Patellar tendinopathy alters the distribution of lower extremity joint effort during hopping. Journal Applied Biomechanics 26: 249-256, 2010.
- Chiu, L., and Salem, G.. Time series analysis: evaluating trends in exercise and athletic performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24:230-234, 2010.
- Chodzko-Zajko , W.J., Minson, C.T., Nigg, C.R., Fiatarone, M.A., Proctor, D. Salem, G.J., Skinner, J.S. ACSM Position stand on exercise and physical activity for older adults. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 41:1510-1530, 2009.
- Song, J-E., Fisher, B., Wu, A., Pettsinger, G., Gordon, J., and Salem, G., The relationships between the unified Parkinson’s disease rating scale and lower-extremity functional performance in persons with early-stage Parkinson’s disease. Journal Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair 23: 657-661, 2009.
- Fisher, B., Wu, A., Salem, G., Song, J-E., Lin, J., Jakowic, M., Yip, J., Gordon, J., and Pettsinger, G. The effect of exercise training in improving motor performance and cortico-motor excitability in individuals with early Parkinson's disease. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89: 1221-1229, 2008.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., B.K. Schilling, A.C. Fry, and G.J. Salem. The influence of deformation on barbell mechanics during the clean pull. Sport Biomechanics 7:260-273, 2008.
- Flanagan, S. and Salem, G. Lower extremity joint kinetic responses to external resistance variations. Journal of Applied Biomechanics 24: 58-68, 2008.
- Flanagan, S. and Salem, G. Bilateral differences in the net joint torques during the squat exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 21: 1220-1226, 2007.
- Flanagan, S., Kessans, K., and Salem, G. Quantifying bilateral joint contributions during a variety of stepping exercises. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation 15: 255-265, 2006.
- Shaibi, G.Q., Cruz, M.L., Ball, G.D., Weigensberg, Salem G.J., Crespo, N.C., and Goran, M.I. Effects of resistance training on insulin sensitivity in overweight Latino adolescent males Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 38: 1208-1215, 2006.
- Chui, L. and Salem, G. Comparison of joint kinetics during free weight and flywheel resistance exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 20: 555-562, 2006.
- Wang, M-Y., Flanagan, S., Song, J-E, Greendale, G.A, Azen, S., and Salem, G.J. Relations among body weight, joint moments generated during functional activities, and hip bone mass in older adults. Clinical Biomechanics 21: 717-725, 2006.
- Shaibi, G.Q., Cruz, M.L., Ball, G.D., Salem G.J., Weigensberg, M.J., and Goran, M.I. Cardiovascular fitness and physical activity in children with and without impaired glucose tolerance. International Journal of Obesity 30: 45-49, 2006.
© USC Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy