Dr. Salem is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy and Co-Director of the Musculoskeletal Biomechanics Research Laboratory (MBRL). Within MBRL, he directs the Exercise and Aging Biomechanics research program. This program recognizes the growing importance of exercise and activity interventions in improving health and life-quality across the lifespan. Investigations are designed to: 1) quantify the musculoskeletal loading and neuromuscular recruitment patterns associated with functional activities and exercise; 2) examine the influence of exercise prescription on muscle dynamics, tissue adaptation, neural control, and physical performance; and 3) examine the feasibility, efficacy, and mechanisms-of-action associated with the integration of complementary and alternative modalities (CAM) (e.g. yoga, meditation, guided imagery) with traditional rehabilitation therapy. Study participants include children, younger & older adults, elite athletes, and patients with neurological disease.
- University of California, Los Angeles -Department of Kinesiology, Ph.D. Biomechanics 1991
- University of California, Los Angeles -Department of Kinesiology, M.S Biomechanics 1988
- University of California, Davis - Department of Psychology, B.S. Physiological Psychology 1983
- Sorenson, S., Romano, R., Scholefield, R., Schroeder, T., Azen, S., and Salem, G. The Trojan lifetime champions health survey: development, validity, and reliability. Journal of Athletic Training (In press).
- Sorenson, S., Gordon, J., Romano, R., Azen, S., Schroeder, T., and Salem, G. Holistic lifespan health outcomes among elite intercollegiate student-athletes. Journal of Athletic Training (In press).
- Salem, G.,Yu, S-Y., Wang, M-Y., Samarawickrame, S., Hashish, R., and Greendale, G., Physical Demand Profiles of Hatha Yoga Postures Performed by Older Adults. Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Article ID 165763, 13: 1-29, 2013.
- Fisher, B., Nacca, Q., Salem, G., Song, J. Yip, J., Conte, P., Jakowec, M., and Petzinger, G. Treadmill exercise elevates dopamine D2 receptor binding potential in patients with early Parkinson’s disease. Neuro Report, 2013.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., and G.J. Salem. Potentiation of vertical jumping performance during a weightlifting training session. Journal Applied Biomechanics: Journal Applied Biomechanics: 28: 627-635, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., Hashish, R., Samarawickrame, S., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. Physical demands of standing yoga poses in seniors: yoga empowers seniors study (YESS), BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine Article ID: 2099618558770127, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., Hashish, R., Samarawickrame, S., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. Biomechanical demands of standing yoga poses in seniors: yoga empowers seniors study (YESS), BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 13:8 2013, (PMCID23302513).
- Yu, S-Y., Wang, M-Y., Samarawickrame, S., Hashish, R., Kazadi, L., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. The physical demands of the tree (vriksasana) and one leg balance (utthita hasta padangusthasana) poses performed by seniors: a biomechanical examination, Evidenced-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Article ID 971896, 2012:1-11, 2012.
- Wang, M-Y., Greendale, G., and Salem, G. Yoga improves upper extremity function and scapular posturing in persons with hyperkyphosis. Journal of Yoga Physical Therapy 2(3):1-6, 2012.
- Greendale, G Kazadi, L., Mazdyasni, S., Ramirez, E., Wang, M-Y., Yu, S-Y., and Salem, G. The yoga empowers seniors study (YESS): design and asana series. Journal of Yoga Physical Therapy 2 (1):1-8, 2012, (PMCID23641315).
- Song, J, Sigward, S, Fisher, B, and Salem, G. Altered dynamic postural control during step turning in persons with early stage Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s Disease, Article ID 386962, 2012:1-8, 2012.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., and G.J. Salem. Pelvic kinematic method for determining vertical jump height. Journal Applied Biomechanics 26: 508-511, 2010.
- Sorenson, S., Arya, S., Souza, R., Pollard, C., Salem, G., and Kulig, K., Altered knee extensor dynamics in the volleyball approach jump: the influence of patellar tendinopathy. Journal Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 40: 568-576, 2010.
- Souza, R, Arya, S., Pollard, C., Salem, G., and Kulig, K., Patellar tendinopathy alters the distribution of lower extremity joint effort during hopping. Journal Applied Biomechanics 26: 249-256, 2010.
- Chiu, L., and Salem, G.. Time series analysis: evaluating trends in exercise and athletic performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24:230-234, 2010.
- Chodzko-Zajko , W.J., Minson, C.T., Nigg, C.R., Fiatarone, M.A., Proctor, D. Salem, G.J., Skinner, J.S. ACSM Position stand on exercise and physical activity for older adults. Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, 41:1510-1530, 2009.
- Song, J-E., Fisher, B., Wu, A., Pettsinger, G., Gordon, J., and Salem, G., The relationships between the unified Parkinson’s disease rating scale and lower-extremity functional performance in persons with early-stage Parkinson’s disease. Journal Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair 23: 657-661, 2009.
- Fisher, B., Wu, A., Salem, G., Song, J-E., Lin, J., Jakowic, M., Yip, J., Gordon, J., and Pettsinger, G. The effect of exercise training in improving motor performance and cortico-motor excitability in individuals with early Parkinson's disease. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89: 1221-1229, 2008.
- Chiu, L.Z.F., B.K. Schilling, A.C. Fry, and G.J. Salem. The influence of deformation on barbell mechanics during the clean pull. Sport Biomechanics 7:260-273, 2008.
- Flanagan, S. and Salem, G. Lower extremity joint kinetic responses to external resistance variations. Journal of Applied Biomechanics 24: 58-68, 2008.
- Flanagan, S. and Salem, G. Bilateral differences in the net joint torques during the squat exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 21: 1220-1226, 2007.
- Flanagan, S., Kessans, K., and Salem, G. Quantifying bilateral joint contributions during a variety of stepping exercises. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation 15: 255-265, 2006.
- Shaibi, G.Q., Cruz, M.L., Ball, G.D., Weigensberg, Salem G.J., Crespo, N.C., and Goran, M.I. Effects of resistance training on insulin sensitivity in overweight Latino adolescent males Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 38: 1208-1215, 2006.
- Chui, L. and Salem, G. Comparison of joint kinetics during free weight and flywheel resistance exercise. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 20: 555-562, 2006.
- Wang, M-Y., Flanagan, S., Song, J-E, Greendale, G.A, Azen, S., and Salem, G.J. Relations among body weight, joint moments generated during functional activities, and hip bone mass in older adults. Clinical Biomechanics 21: 717-725, 2006.
- Shaibi, G.Q., Cruz, M.L., Ball, G.D., Salem G.J., Weigensberg, M.J., and Goran, M.I. Cardiovascular fitness and physical activity in children with and without impaired glucose tolerance. International Journal of Obesity 30: 45-49, 2006.